Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frankenamp in a way...would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aleyman, Dec 16, 2004.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Ok, I have been useing a Peavey MINX 110 for a long time now. Its a good amp but I know I would be better off with a 15 inch speaker in a band situation. I have a chance to aquire the cabinet of a peavey TNT, the head died due to a student not knowing how to use it I believe. It's sort of a "name your own price" thing so I figured it wouldn't help to pick it up, even when I can't run it on anything at the moment. My amps output was mad for 8 ohm speakers I think (8 ohm combo, 8 ohm cabinet=4 ohm, maximum load) and the TNT cab is a 4 ohm I think...

Here's the thing. My teacher offered to add a jack on the outside of my combo: attach a quarter inch jack to the wire going to the speaker, so I could plug the internal speaker into this jack for band situations, unplug the internal speaker and plug in the cab if in a band situation.

I know I will pick up this cabinet either way, it is far too good of a deal and any money I spend on it is donated to the schools music program. However, is this second jack idea just asking to end in disaster?

I can always expect helpful responses from this place, you guys are the best out there

Thanks!

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    a peavey minx head could not push a 15 at very loud volumes... save your money, just a get a working amp.

3. More information is needed. It depends on how the jack is connected. With that said it could work just fine.

4. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Well, I figured if the 10 inch at 8 ohms was going around 35 watts...and that's enough to push me thru a practise, a 15 inch at 60 watts (that's the 4 ohms) might be at least a little fuller?

Keep in mind i'm still too young to get a job...I could save for a head, but if I do then i'm not really going to be able to use it for about a year.

5. jdagger

jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    If I understand correctly the Peavey Minx 110 II will push 50 Watts into a 4 Ohm load when an external cab is added. So apparently it has an external jack for plugging in the extension cab. Sounds like your intent is to plug the TNT 115's speaker into that jack when you want to use the 15 inch. As long as you unplug the 10 you have a 4 ohm load. You will push more air with the 15 and while it might not be the perfect dream rig, you are getting a small bit of gain from the larger 15. If you can get it for a really good price, one near ZERO dollars I hope, it should work.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A 15" speaker at 65 watts is not going to get you heard above a drummer. I concur with the suggestion above to wait and get a used, working amp for very little $$$ that is reasonably powered and has a 15.

7. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Thanks a lot for the replys. The cab is going to be given to me for whatever I can donate to the music program, it was more of a "he wants to get it off his hands" thing.

I'm hearing a lot of "it's not worth it", but the thing is I'd have no other choice due to money. So if i were to hook it up (only occasionaly i might add), all I want to know is if it would help me at all. It would be more of a temporary (more then a year maybe) solution untill I can get a head to run the 15.

(On a side note, any recomendations for a head on a 15 year olds budget?)

8. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    aleyman:
    Get the TNT and pay them what you can. Never hurts to try...I like your "what if" spirit.

A lot of us here at TB have forgotton our days just starting out. My first cab I built myself out of some wood my dad was saving to use for something "useful"...he was miffed cause it was nice quality wood.

You say your present amp cuts it at practice. Cool, I wish I could use a small amp like that. Most any solid state amp, such as your MINX, will run a 4 ohm load. I don't know if the TNT speaker itself is a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker...maybe some nice TBer will tell us how to hook a meter up to it and test it. Either way, until we determine the TNT's ohms, you would be safe hooking the MINX amp up to the TNT speaker and not using the MINX speaker. The big question is, can you hook both speakers together? If the TNT speaker is 4 ohms, the answer is no...you would have a total load of 2.66 ohms...too low for the MINX. If both the MINX speaker and the TNT speaker are 8 ohms, you can hook them both up to the amp and will have a 4 ohm load on the amp.

Is the fried amp still inside or somewhere near the TNT? If so, get it...it may be able to be repaired for very little and then you will have a decent starter amp for a band situation. Good luck and start saving your money now for when you get Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) like the rest of us around here. Stop laughing...we're old, jaded and would drive Corvettes in our mid life crisis except we bought a bunch of fancy bass gear instead. Good luck.

9. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've got a tnt 115. Internal speakers is rated at 4 ohms and you add another 4 ohm cab to get the full 200 watts from the head at 2 ohms.

Hope that helped if any.