Frankenbass or parts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shirojiro, Mar 22, 2002.

1. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking for a new fretless bass, but I can't seem to decide on how to approach the issue. I'd like to stay on the inexpensive side, but I don't want another cheap sounding bass (don't we all...). Anyhow, I'm thinking of (1) building a Warmoth jazz bass, (2) buying any jazz bass copy and adding a Warmoth neck and EMGs (3) buying a fretless MIM Jazz bass or other inexpensive fretless.

I think that options (1) and (2) are significantly more expensive than (3), but then, the bass I end up with should be better quality.

I'm not particularly concerned about resale, but I want to have a bass that really gets that fretless growl and mwah.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have heard a lot of good stuff about Warmoth. Personally, that is the route that I would take, based on the options you mentioned.

If the Warmoth proves too costly, then I would go with the MIM Fender. It would be cheaper to upgrade the electonics on one of them later on than it would be to do option #2 that you listed.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd go with #2, which is the best of both worlds, especially if you start with something half decent like a used MIM Jazz (fretted ones are pretty easyto come by cheaply used, and you'll be replacing the neck anyway). Building a Warmoth bass from scratch can actually get kind of expensive, since there are all kinds of small parts (strap buttons, neck plates, tuner & bridge, bolts & screws, etc.) that add up if you have to buy them all separately new, but you can't do without them!

If you just go with a fairly inexpensive bass to start with, and upgrade the parts that are most significant (pickups, neck), you can come up with something much cheaper that's actually quite good. Then later, if you decide a Badass bridge or Schaller tuners or Warmoth frame-topped body (for instance) will really help the bass, you can replace them, but you don't wind up having to spring for the "good stuff" just to make the thing work.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey guys, I was thinking about a similar thing (except w/ a P-bass and Allparts neck).

1) Allparts or Warmoth?
    2) Fretted or frettless?
  5. Listen

May 19, 2002