1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FrankenCab Feasibility Study

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tZer, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Gang,

I have the following:
    - SVT 810e (primary cab)
    - Sunn 6x10 (one blown driver - sitting in storage cab)
    - 1 - 15" Peavey Blackwidow Instrument driver (practice cab)

My thought;

I primarily gig with the 810e but I do lots of side projects where that cab is just too much to move. I have the 15" Black Widow in a cab I built that works well for really small situations,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

but I am afraid it is not enough for a 'medium sized' jams where there is a need for solid bottom end and punch.

What I need from the group
    I am interested in what you would do if you had (5) 10" Sunn drivers and (1) 15" Peavey Black Widow at your disposal. Would you make a ported 2x10 + 1x15 combo cab? Would you make a single 4x10 ported cab and bi-amp to the 1x15? What about a 4x10 + 1x15 combo cab? Would you smack me in the head for trying to mix and match totally incompatible drivers? Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories? Share please!

Thanks!
    --tz

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Went with the carpet, huh? :bassist:

I don't know didly about building speakers, but I would imagine that at 410 115 combo cab would be REALLY heavy and awkward. Maybe build a 210 to sit on top of your 115?

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    No head smacks, but what are the impedences of the drivers you want to use? Those numbers, and the ways in which various drivers can be wired together might make your design decision for you. There's an Excel spreadsheet here http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/impedance.html that helps you figure out total impedence in various multiple driver speaker systems.

That being said, just to be different, I'd be itching to make a vertical 3x10 cab to sit on the 15. Run the numbers...it might work!

4. The vertical 3x10 cab is a really cool idea, you should see if you can make it work. Make it with slot ports on either side of the drivers and the box will look symmetrical and be wide enough to put your head on top of.

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    How about a 4 x 10" and a 1-10" + 1-15" combo with a passive xover and a seperate input to use just the 15" if you want to biamp with your 4 x 10"?

Gots to have options. ;)

6. Yeah, laziness and convenience won out. Now here I am talking about scrapping that thing altogether and starting over!!! I am a money vacuum...

I agree - seems like an outta the frying pan, into the fire thing for me if I am trying to build a more portable alternative to my 810e... huh?

Yeah, that was going to be my first mission. I have been trying to locate online the specs for the SUNN 610 but have found nothing. i was hoping to get that info from a spec sheet, but it would appear that I need to go get my cab outta storage and crack it open to find what I need.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! That will be very helpful.

Now that is interesting... Why 3x10 vertical? I dig the idea, but it just never occurred to me to go with an odd config like that... Any particular reason?

Good suggestion too! Convert my 1x15 to a 1x15 + 1x10 - that would give me some added oomph and a 4x10 cab - now that's just crazy-talk! LOL - Again, a great idea!!! I am going to mull these over and see what jumps out at me.

Thanks everyone! Keep those cards and letters coming!
    --tz

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    There's a fairly lengthy thread here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238516 that started off being about stacking 2 210's vertically, but then degenerated somewhat into....well anyway, there is some good info in the 4 pages of posts. The upshot is that cabinet design is largely due to convenience (make all your cabs the same width so that everything stacks easily), and customer expectation. I 'discovered' the vertical arrangement when I brought a Peavey 210TXF home to my tiny apartment. I stood it on it's end to save space, and discovered that it sounded fuller and more balanced (the low boominess was gone). When I moved it to rehearsal space, I had it horizontal, as per the design, but when I flipped it vertical, everyone said they could hear me better. It makes sense if you think about any decent PA at a big show. They're a hell of a lot taller than they are wide.

As for the 310 part of my suggestion? Well, that was just to be different. And it might work out with the drivers from the Sunn. Besides, everyone and their dog has a 210 or 410.

Vive le difference!!!

8. Thanks! I need to think out all of the ohm issues - I am using the same amp all the time and I need it to be viable for what ever cab. config. I am running. The SVT II Pro can switch between 2 and 4 ohm loads... so I need to make sure what ever cab set up I go with that it does not cause impedance mis-match issues.

Thanks again!