1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FrankenFender (It's Alive!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think it looks great! You should try to gently wear the sharp edges of the pickup covers with a 3M pad, and maybe put a cig burn or two up on the headstock, and it'll look like a warhorse!

2. That looks really cool, I like it. More pictures please.

lowsound

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, I didn't bring it up. :rollno: yourself. ;^)

But if I were to start a "I hate relics" thread, would all the "relic lovers" stay out of it? I doubt it.

4. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    FWIW, I was not bashing "relicing" as a practice or this bass in particular. The OP has really made the bass look worn, and that's what he wanted to do.

Like I said, I just don't get it.

5. Dude, it's Mark Wilson. It pretty much is the voice of God.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    children, chill......

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Please forgive my ignorance, but should that name mean something to me?

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    btw, I dig the bass! It's flicked a switch in my brain and given me an idea for a relic copy of cool well known worn P bass that I've never seen done before.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    forgiven! perhaps you shouldn't have started out by calling folks whiners (or even just me for that matter) unless you were actually trolling for an argument.

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Stop peeing in my thread, and thanks for the kind words.

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sorry! It is a pretty bass, that's for sure. After I mess around with making changes on my SX I may try to relic it just for the hell of it. I doubt I will get as good a result as you did tho.

12. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Love your P-bass. I once played a '71 P-bass, about 8-9 years ago, that looked all beat up like that one. I thought the guitar store it was at was crazy to be asking as much money as they wanted for that thing until I played it. WHOA!!! I have wanted a beat-up vintage 3TSB P-bass ever since.

BTW, how long has that been your sig? I never noticed it until just now.

13. Im not a fan personally of doing that(but if i had a $65 bass who knows).....but it looks pretty sweet!

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI

I don't remember which thread I lifted that from, but probably 3 or 4 months ago? Truer words have never been spoken my friend.

I'm really glad everyone is enjoying it. I had a blast working it, and I'm having even more fun now that it's done. I don't know how IbanezCollector pumps these out on a weekly basis. I'll get some better pics today, I took the day off.

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ibanezcollector is a fool for punishment thats how.. :)

Yeah we need more pics, more pics, more pics

16. papadesophie

papadesophie

Mar 11, 2007

Never a truer word spoken. Take a bow that man.!
    You have to challenge a concept to develop it.

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, I guess, but my ignorance was (and is) about who Mark Wilson is and why I should regard him as the "voice of God". I wasn't referring to you specifically as whining, it was him when he came in all bent out of shape over someone (not me) expressing a dislike for reliced instruments, saying they were "out of line" and had "no right" to voice their opinion; the "voice of God" comment was his, not mine.

I don't troll for arguments, though I will admit to getting caught up in them sometimes.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Normally I don't dig the intentional relic thing, but this one looks freakin' awesome! I love it. Great job. I'd want to hit the stage immediately, and the more questionable the venue, the better. I'm glad you were able to use the Fender neck on your SX. I tried this with an SX P-bass body and MIM Fender fretless J neck, but the fit was bad enough that I just sucked it up and bought a Fender body. It's a great bass, but I spent much more than I wanted to.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Great Job! I'm interested in what technique you used. You chipped off the poly?