Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frankenjazz is done!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CQBASS, Apr 1, 2005.

1. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I bought a lefty 5 Brice Douglas off a fellow TB'er a few months back as a back up bass on the road. Well, I liked the neck so much I decided to hot rod it a little and it's finally done. I put a Bartolini 59j at the bridge and a Bart 72bck-5 soapbar at the neck. Then I topped it off with a J-retro and a fret dressing and it's actually pretty amazing. This thing sounds as good as my Pedullas and my US Masters, and I've got about $650 into the bass total. It's got really crisp highs with alot of overtones but retains a strong fundamental everywhere on the bass. It's easy to dial up a heavy dub style tone and I can still just kick in the jazz pup for a super growly midrange. Fortunately I think this is a bit older Brice so there was no extra routing under the PG. I took that off immediately. I don't know if I'll change the tuners, they seem fine to me. there's no play in them and they hold tuning well. So anyway, here's my new "best sounding cheap bass in the world."

2. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    things like that make me proud to play lefty. rock on!

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats......she's a real beauty!!!!

4. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Very nice,
    my dad's a lefty and has a couple accoustic guitars, i tried em and couldnt play a single cord :p

beautiful bass my friend :)

5. luvverly!!!

(if you ever wanna sell, give me first go at it!) ;)

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    does the head stock say fug? or another word with out a k :p

7. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    My last name is Q, so....fu.....you get the picture.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Did you need to route out any of the cavity for the front pup??? Or was the route big enough for the bart???

My god that looks stunning..!!!

Alex

9. BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Actually the front pup routing was extra big. There was a big space around the original j pup taht was covered by the pickguard. There was about 2mm on each side so this particular bart fit perfectly. The j-retro fit in without routing as well. I was prepared to route if I needed to but I lucked out. The incredible thing is the sound. I'm trying to get some clips.

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    DAMN... I am sold... I need to find my ass one of thoughs Brice's!!! Anyone see one, let me know!!!

Alex

ps... I wonder how many have that style of routing???

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's nice. But it's backwards. What gives? ;)