1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FrankenJazz Project Finished....maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Volume4, May 1, 2010.

1. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Please indulge me. :D

This is my completed mutt JB

Specs are as follows.

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Neck, Stock Nut & Tuners
    (Love this neck, also have a CV P bass. So a J and a P with identical necks :cool:)

Fender Classic Series 70's JB Body (MIM)
    Fender USA 75 RI Bridge
    Fender USA 75 RI Pickups
    Fender USA Pots/Jack/Control plate/Knobs
    Fender USA 62 RI Pickguard
    Sadowsky Flats (best flatwound I ever tried!!)

A hair over 8 lbs

Came out nice, I'm a little put off by the low output and tone of the bridge pickup... so I may make a change in the future to Antiquity II's....have the Antiquity II in my P and it's killer.

Overall I'm stoked though :hyper:

The neck pup alone sounds great and together full up in humbucking mode sounds nice too.

Some pics

JB1a.

jb3a.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Noyce.

I particularly like that sunburst.

3. Those CV P necks are nice, aren't they? Looks great!

4. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Thanks!

Eaglemoon,
    This started from the CV I got from you....the neck and pickups are all thats left though ;)

Yeah, I love the neck and I really like being able to switch between a J and a P but having the exact same neck specs on both.

5. Oh wow, I wondered if it was the same neck. Very cool. The pickups are great, aren't they?

6. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    ***** Update *******

:D

Put an MIJ Jaguar neck, Hipshot HB-2 Tuners, Antiquity II's and a Badass II on.

Sadowsky SS rounds this time (love these strings!!)

DSC03586.

DSC03577.

7. Super sweet, but why did you change the neck again?

8. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Thanks!

I love block inlays and the Jag necks have a really nice Jazz profile. I bought a Jag and liked the neck more than I liked the bass

9. Was the Jag neck a pretty good fit?

10. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Yeah, no issues. It's an MIM body and an MIJ neck but everything matched up. The gap on the upperside of the neck pocket is a little larger than I would consider acceptable on a new instrument but it's doesn't affect anything and isn't really noticable. Although if you look at the body closeup you can probably see what I'm talking about.

It could just be the new strings/fresh setup or wishful thinking playing tricks on my mind....but I think the tone was improved a little by changing the neck.

11. It's like when you're a kid and you get new shoes and all of a sudden you feel like you can run faster. Maybe you're playing better because you're enthusiastic about the instrument.

12. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I really dig the unbound RW Block inlay neck. I know a lot of folks didn't like that on the new 50th Anniv Jazz.......but I wasn't one of them. I like that a lot.

Also, I was considering a matching Classic 70's neck.....which is nice too....but the Jaguar is a little slimmer and more comfortable to me.

13. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That's a frankenbass?! Nicest Frankenbass I've eve seen...

14. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Thank you kindly :)

I just call it that because its a parts bass....but it really turned into a "custom" build for me. I have everything I like in a Jazz bass covered here. Nothing left to change here.