1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frankenstein Ampeg B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobby Lemain, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain

Aug 4, 2009
    California
    I'm thinking of taking the amp portion of the B-100R combo out, disconnecting the speaker, and using it as a preamp for recording or to plug into a power amp for louder gigs. If I can score a cheap and small power amp, I might consider putting everything into a single head. My concern is running the amp without a speaker attached. I understand that solid-state amps can run without a speaker but for a combo that doesn't have speaker plugs, would it be fine running with the internal speaker simply disconnected?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, it's perfectly ok.

3. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain

Aug 4, 2009
    California
    Thank you. This might turn out interesting if it ever happens.

4. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I think you're asking for trouble....sorry.

I had an Ampeg B-100R and I wish I still had it. I can understand why you want to try your idea...but

I believe that the amp is a sum of it's parts. It's preamp, power section and enclosure are all designed to sound like a classic Portaflex.

I don't think you'll get what makes this great by

Using the cab with another head or the head with another cab. Not to say it won't sound good, who knows? But I think what makes the B-100R great is its design from top to bottom.

I wouldn't mess with it....there are other options...

Tech 21 VT
    Catalinbread SFT
    Bass Pod (yeah, I know but the B-15 patch is actually pretty darn good)

5. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    One other thing....

What's wrong with the amps stock line out?

14. Line Out supplies a mono signal
    for connecting to a mixing console,
    tape recorder or external
    amplifier. The signal is pre-Master
    and post-EQ.

I'm sorry if I'm misundersatnding what you're trying to do maybe.

6. I say do it. Rehouse it along with a power amp in a big crazy box like Shellac.

[​IMG]

7. wow, usually I'm the one to reference a steve albini project.

8. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain

Aug 4, 2009
    California
    Nothing's wrong with it. Basically, if I don't gut the combo for it's amp, I'm going to run the B-100R through a power amp and put its signal through a cab for more volume. I suppose that tone might change if I use a non-matched cab, but in a sense if you use a head with a cab it wasn't matched to, doesn't the same "effect" happen?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020