Frankenstein Bass...umm yumm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NHGhost, Sep 28, 2004.

1. NHGhost

Sep 26, 2004
    Well Guys thought I would start a fun thread.

Our Bass Player I decided to take over the bass duties in our band. It didnt hurt I was a TERRIBLE guitar player. Needless to say I have alot of learning to do. First problem was what the heck am I gonna play? None of us owned a bass. I made some calls and got some friends to come through in a pinch. One called and had a old made in Korea Squier P bass for me...had a J bass EMG select PU routed into it, was wired wrong..and didnt work. So I had a body and neck..with shot elec's. Then another friend calls and says he got ahold of an old Ibanez Roadstar bass. Paint is shot, neck wasted..but has semi working electrics..and a HARD CASE.

I drag the P bass home and open it up. The P bass has a plywood body. Not cool IMO. I rip the neck off, pull out the EMG, and save the strings. The Tuners are some type of Schaller deal according to the stampings and seem to be of decent quality. Neck is pretty straight, no dead spots. I figure worse come to worse I'll order a body form warmoth, paint it with some rattle cans and call it a day.I go to acquire the Ibanez and dont even know what it looks like. No idea about the pups or anything. I open the case and see it has a PJ configuration. Now the wheels start turning. The Ibanez has a Solid body, is backrouted, has a much beefier looking bridge, nicer knobs, bigger pots etc.

I take the Ibanez neck off..and sure enough ther P neck fits right on. I then rip out the old Ibanez J pickup and drop the EMG in..only it dont really fit. So I kind of angle it ala Telecaster Bridge style and shazam. Wire it all up and am expecting smoke or worse some type of detonation. Well funny enough it works. Well I just ordered a new P pup, a Bassline quarter pounder (model?). Getting it setup by PROS as we speak, with some new D'addario 45's...intonation set etc. The guys at the music store think its great, there exact quote was "hey someone actually found a use for a squier part" (no bashing on my what you like man..just play it well). Lots of talk about "character", and what to name it. Squibanez seems to be my favorite.

Anyway..I like the that already beat up look, seems to play fine...and actually sounded pretty cool through a fender 400 bassman stack they had. So anyone else play any Frankenbass' ? I love odd crap guitars/bass'/drum kits etc. Love seeing stuff you can spill a beer on or drop and not cry about. Lets hear your war stories.

Looks like I should be into this thing for about $120 including the new pup, strings and setup. God I love cheap stuff. Now if I can find a cheap amp I'll be good to go. Looked at some Ibanez 100 watt combo that you can tip over. Not sure if 100 is loud enough but hey..its got a Direct output so we'll see.

2. Being a TERRIBLE guitar player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be all that good on the bass either! :bag:
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool - congrats on a successful "monster bass" build. :hyper:
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    It hasn't happened until you post pics of it :p.

Sounds mojolicious. Keep us updated.