1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frankenstein / Mystery Bass - Need to ID!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SimplemanBB450, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I just picked up this bass this weekend. It is in rough condition so i started to disassemble it to see who made it or what model it was. It has ZERO manufacturing info anywhere along with NO serial number stampped either. The biggest two things i noticed was; neck length and bridge / pick-up orientation. Can anyone please help - is it a cheap bass i can modded out without fear or do I have something here i am unaware of? I NEED info please!

P.S: It reminds me a Epiphone Les Paul style (in color and style)

2. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Are we sure this isn't an electric tenor guitar?

JKT

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's what it looks like to me, although of course it could be tuned as a bass. What's the scale length (measurement from nut to bridge saddles, or from nut to 12th fret x 2)?

4. Please educate me on what that (an electric tenor guitar) is?

I can say with certainty that it is a 4-stringed instrument and the size of the strings is roughly the same size as my Yamaha. I thought it was weird to have the neck size of an electric guitar, body structure of a electric guitar but had only 4 strings.... :meh:

5. ...so after doing alittle research and realizing what a tenor guitar is, could someone have put one heavier strings and played it as a bass? Would it work? Is this something with alittle work be converted into a bass or should I stop before i get into too deep? Again, is there any value in these things or no (based on what you see in my pix)?

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As it's a no-brand item in rough condition I almost guarantee it has no resale value beyond what someone would pay for a little project to tinker with. Yes, it can be strung and tuned as a bass, but the string tension may be looser than some people would like--it's up to you.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It would definitely work if you strung with with very heavy guitar strings and rocked it through a bass amp. I know a band that does just this - except the dude actually plays bass lines on a Gibson ES335 through an Ampeg 8x10 stack

8. ...resurrecting this post, I am wondering if anyone could advise on what type of pick-ups I would need to order. Given its configuration, would I get a standard "P-Bass" pickup and separate those into the two given routed out areas OR would I get two "soap-bars" and mount them into the provided slots? I am looking into the BASSLINE brand for pickups (Soap-bar SSB-4 / ASB-BO-4) and need an idea on what to order. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Anyone?

The more i've looked the more i've found out that they consider these "Mini-Humbuckers"
    Are they anything that would work for a bass application? Does anyone know where I could buy replacements and if so would they be considered Guitar Humbuckers or Bass Humbuckers?