Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frankfurt basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TizzleNizz, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Hello all. i'm a begginer at the double bass.. although i've been playing Electric bass and Classical guitar and piano for a while. I'm just starting the double bass, and i can see that my budget could probably get me something along the lines of the Frankfurt basses from Jimlaabs.com. I did a search on this forum and cant really find enough info, so i was wondering if anyone here owns one or has played one or just knows something about the bass that would help me in my decision. is it a good bass overall? for arco and pizz? thanks in advance

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I believe the Jim Laabs basses are made in Korea, and given German-sounding names. I read somewhere (but can't verify) that the "Solana" and "Laguna" models sold by Lemur are from the same manufacturer. I live close to their store, and have seen (and played) the basses, and I like them. That was, however, before I had learned anything about basses and my judgment today could be different. I purchased a "Highland" acoustic bass guitar from them, which is also made in Korea, and I've been impressed with it. On the downside, be aware that Jim Laabs is not a luthier shop, and won't be of much help for set-up or repair should you need it. Also, they have a pretty poor "feedback" record on ebay, which should cause you concern if you're planning to buy from them via mail order. I hope you're planning to make the drive to Stevens Point to actually try out the bass before you buy. Good luck to you.

3. Gufenov, did you say that you played the lemur basses, or the Jim Laabs basses? I've been looking at the Lemur basses, and keep hedging because I just can't decide whether they are too good to be true or not. Lemur tells me that they sold well over a hundred last year and have so far recieved no complaints or returns.

Beth

4. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I live about 45 minutes from Jim Laabs store, and tried several of their basses when I first started searching for one to purchase. I liked them then, but as I said, my judgment could be different today. At the time, I had no playing experience at all, knew nothing about strings, and hadn't heard very many instruments to compare sound to. Today, my judgment might be different. As I said, I've been happy with the quality of the bass guitar I bought.

5. Thanks....I've been trying to figure out whether Lemur really has something, or if it's a piece of junk. There are so many interesting opinions out there on this issue.

Beth