1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frankfurt Music Messe - anyone going?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Hi - I know this thread hasn't got any juicy bass pics on it - yet - but I'm going to the Frankfurt music Messe in a week - I'll be there on Friday and Saturday with the guys from EBS - would be great to meet any TBers who might be going - would be great to meet some of Euro geezers - anyway just thought I'd ask. I'm planning on taking a loaf of pics - so rest assured the best basses will get snapped.

Cheers

Mike

2. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    nope.
    i live in germany but no i won't go.

when you are on the messe check Halle 4.0 Stand H41 out.
    it's mick with House of Speakers. he make some really nice boxes (is this the plural?)

i think he will have the mikolos there (4x10" + 2x15" in one case or the 8x12" :p extemely light under 50kg!!!)
    i found a link: mikolos alpha

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Going wine tasting in Bordeaux, tasting 75-80 wines per day, during the first week of April.

Can't get a Musikmesse past the War Department as well. Gauranteed divorce.

4. I understand - your alternative weekend sounds like more fun ;)

M

5. I will be there Wednesday and Thursday. :)

-Christian

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Starting in Burgundy then driving across France for the Union des Grands Crus. It's a tasting of the early 2005 wines. Roughly 1,000 wine importers attending. A close buddy owns the Bordeaux market in Vancouver as an importer. He's invited me to attend. How could I say no?

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I'll be there on Thursday and Friday :cool:

8. damned ! I can't go this year because of the Jean Baudin Masterclass in Paris on saturday. But that's not too bad either :D We'll have our own mini ERB NAMM/Musikmesse :)

be sure to take some pics from Jens booth..and don't miss Seth Horan at the Warwick booth !

9. bump for pics :)

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    OT, but if you're planning on writing reviews, I'd love a copy! :)

Marshall

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Well, today was special. Started with a tasting of Chateau Latour, onsite with five others. Then on to Mouton Rothschild: first and second labels, 2004 and 2005 first growths. Ended up visiting four of the five first growths in the left bank. Ended the day with Chateau Margaux. Met the owner. Drank the second lable and first label. 2005 is set to be a banner year right up there with 1945, 1961, 1982. Fabulous fabulous wines. Unbelieveable. Estimates on Margaux futures when they're released in two years will see a starting price of around USD 400 a bottle.

Beside the first growths, we visited some super seconds, a third and a fifth. Lunch at a teastign area for all St. Estaph wines. Then a late day tasing of all Medocs.

In all, we tased around 100 wines today. Spit it all, of course, except for the Chateau Margaux's. Highly unlikely I will ever get near the stuff in my remaining years, so all of it went down my throat. Their first label is 75% cab sauv, 25% merlot. Fabulous. Could take it home tonight to drink now. It will be a stunning vintage in 100 years from now. Simply breathtaking.

Sunday was consumed with Burgundy Pinot Noirs and Sauvignon blancs.

Some days are meant for getting up early. This week has been full of them. Life is to short to drink cheap wine.:)

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, I envy you. Everything I've read pointed to this being a banner year and you confirmed it. I read a great article on Chateau Margaux...would love to visit.

I don't think I could ever get through 100 wines! After about 25, I lose the capacity to describe and distinguish (and that's usually lighter California wines).

You are a lucky guy!

Agreed! Although to my inexperienced palate, there are a few good inexpensive ones, so I'd say life's too short to drink bad wine. :)

Marshall

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Margaux was pretty cool. We met the lady that owns Chateau Margaux. Very friendly woman. Her director of operations conducted our tasting. There were 6-7 of us. He was over the moon on 2005. He's convinced it shows true Margaux pedigree and will be a benchmark wine for years to come. Incredible structure, ripe fruity, strongs tanins, good acid. Long sultry finish. You would have been in heaven. Margaux is a holy grail of Bordeaux's. I am so fortunate to have been invited there. My best friend of the past 25 years is a big wine importer in Vancouver. He owns the Bordeaux market in that town. He specializes in first growths, super seconds. He invited me along.

Life is good sometimes, isn't it? I drive home Thursday.