Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frankie goes to Hollywood

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by maxoges, Aug 23, 2001.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just found a best of album from this group. My dad was a big fan of them and played their hit- record over and over again in the early eighties. I don't know if it has something to do with me listening to them while i was still a kid, but I really enjoy the album! Check it out if you don't have anything against eighties pop

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Trevor Horn is a great producer. But I never was sure how much the band actually contributed to the albums, in terms of composing and recording.
    They were a predecessor of all those 'puppet bands' in some ways.

3. in an interview with Norman Watt-Roy of Ian Dury & The Blockheads in Bassist he says that Trevor Horn got him and the Blockheads drummer to jam and sampled them (with the famous Fairlight Emulator) to use on Frankie goes to Hollywood tracks such as Relax and Two Tribes.

he says he used an Alembic bass on the sessions.

the bass does sound sampled (a bit like on Def Leppard's Hysteria album).

I read somewhere that the actual bassist for Frankie goes to Hollywood did come up with the idea for the bassline to Two tribes.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Trevor Horn is a great producer and you can tell his style, which tends to completely take over, no matter the artist - mostly because of his use of the Synclavier - rather than the Fairlight.

I remember the story that the MTR mentions very well as I was playing bass at the time in similar groups. FgtH were on a UK TV show called the Tube, which was hosted by Jools Holland and they were quite outrageous looking - lots of bondage gear and scantily-clad women!!

But they sounded terrible - like a clapped-out punk band, who were attempting to get into Duran Duran territory but without any musicianship.

Trevor Horn, obviously was a better judge of potential than me (!!) and picked them up and replaced everything except the vocals (same thing happened in my band).

I would say, having heard "before" and "after" , that FgtH's recorded output is 95% Trevor Horn and 5% Holly Johnson. Subsequently the guitarist and bassist "mimed" very unconvincingly at any appearances and I felt for them, as I had had a similar experience. :(

5. oh yeah, it was the Synclavier, not the Fairlight that Trevor Horn used.

in that Bassist interview Norman Watt-Roy says "what we didn't realise was that it was being sampled by this new Fairlight instrument which none of us had heard of before!".- so I can blame him for the mistake :D.

it was a Fairlight that was used by Mutt Lange on the Def Leppard albums- I always wondered how they got that keyboard-like bass sound on those albums....until I found out it more or less WAS a keyboard after all.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't heard from those guys in years! you guys are bringing back the memories.... I really liked relax and 2 tribes, but never heard anything beyond that, go figure! If they have a greatest hits cd, then I gotta go find it!

P@

7. I think Frankie Goes To Hollywood is hanging out with Right Said Fred these days.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I liked that right said fred song also.... man I love cheesy pop songs.... can't help it!

P@

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just bought a best of album and it rocks!!