Frankie Poullain quits The Darkness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Martybass, May 23, 2005.

1. Anyone else heard?

I suppose those 'musical differences' mean he wishes the band weren't so much of a joke. Don't get me wrong, I like The Darkness, they're awesome entertainers to boot! Saw them in December at Wembley, but Frankie didn't seem to be enjoying it too much then.

Dunno if anyone cares, or if this should be in Bassists. Tough call, methinks.

2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Now if they could only lose the singer I'd be alright.....
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    He didn't look excited in any picture I have seen or when I saw him live.
  4. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Oh well. Sometimes success is exactly what kills a band. Maybe egos got out of control.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nah, I think the initial thought on leaving a jokey band seems true. I mean, I like music with a sense of humor, but if it's 3 chord rock, it gets old fast.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Maybe he just got smart and realized they, The Darkness, are (IMO) a joke.

Sorry to all you that like them but they are the most annoying band I have ever had the misfortune of hearing! Man they suck, IMO!
  7. I bet it was more ego than "musical differences". Justin seems like he would be a pain to work with
  8. Also, I think that leaving a band like The Darkness before they become even more of a tired joke seems like a good idea.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The only Darkness song I know is "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" and I love that song.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OH I like Get your hands off my Woman, and Black Shuck, but to listen to an entire album of those guys would be maddening.
  11. I like the Darkness, but I wont miss him much because when I listen to them, im always focusing on the insane guitars.
  12. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    A joke usually is funny the first time you hear it, then it is just tired and useless - like this "band".
  13. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I like entertainment as well as music. I'm not (nor ever were) into that kind of pseudo-glam stuff. But what makes them unique is this "burlesque" singer they have. No one cares about who the bassist is and what he does. The product is brilliant and it is definitely not aimed at changing the future of music (as isn't 99% of music, let's be realistic). I enjoy not their music but their concept of entertainment act. I also appreciate the fact that something so out of fashion (high pitched clean singing or guitar soloes -not that I miss them- couldn't be more out of fashion today) made it up to the surface. And finally I find their lyrics WAY more credible than all these neo touchy kids that seem to be having some kind of "who is more self-tormented and had the most terrible childhood" competition (Korn -although I really enjoy Korn-, Incubus, SOAD, etc.). I precisely find THAT to be the best example of WORN OUT stuff that grows old fast. I really don't care about Brandon's or Jonathan's interior world. On the other hand I DO "believe in a thing called love", I can relate to that and identify myself with it (not a Darkness fan, don't misunderstand me). What I mean is simple/happy/dancing/joky music is not a sin, nor a minor genre!

14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Boy...with his skill level as a bassist, I wonder if Joe Zawinul will snap him up.
  15. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Personally I don't go to see a band for their theatrics (although Kiss and Alice Cooper might be the exception although I like their music). I couldn't and wouldn't go see a musical group perform live if I didn't like their music. I really don't care if they run around like athletes on stage or stand around, so long as they sound great. I am old school and if the Darkness is a parody of 80's glam rock then it just reinforces all of my negative thoughts about the whole glam rock era. Despite their current popularity I can't see this band putting out more than two albums though. There just isn't enough of a glam rock renaissance to warrant more than that imho.... :eyebrow:
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I thought the bassist was the funniest thing in the video for "I believe in a thing called love..."
  17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, because everyone knows that since he only played 3 chord cock rock on a debut album that that's all he could possibly be capable of, right? :rolleyes:

I love threads like this. Anytime a bunch of "never was"s get together and make fun of someone they think is a "has been," it cracks me up.

Oh, wait.....IMO.
  18. Yeah I'll second that. He did what he was required to do, and evidently wasn't enjoying it. So surely, that's got to say something about him being a bit bored.

Plus, I'm sure he's made a bit more money out of it than any of the nay sayers.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If Jaco played for the Darkness, it would be a jumbled mess... or he'd do three chord rock if he knew what would help the music.