1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frantone Glacier Hyper Modulator vs Moogerfooger MF-102 vs Frostwave Blue Ringer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plasson, Feb 28, 2008.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi there,
    any owner of those pedals?
    Could anyone compare them?
    especially che Frantone...

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    bump

3. I don't have the Mooger or Frostwave for comparison, but I do have a Frantone Glacier and like it a whole lot. Great sounding ring mod with practically no carrier bleedthrough. Needs a 24V power supply, tho.

~ Charlie

4. By knowing moog and frostwave products (not testing them, but knowing their aims on products) I can that they will have many more different sounds available in them, whereas the Glacier is a more simple ring mod which will (I guess) have a few less sounds.

Do you want one with many options or do you want one with just a few to create a more simple sound?

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    They all have pretty much the same controls, so I guess the question is in secondary features and range.

The Framptone and the Frostwave both let you use a secondary audio input as the modulation signal whereas it's always internal with the Moog. However, you can control any of the Moog's functions with an expression pedal. The Frostwave can do that to an extent, but it seems to need an add-on and may only let you control the frequency via expression.

As for range: if I remember correctly the Framptone is a slightly redesigned version of the EHX Frequency Analyzer (by the same engineer). This means that it will have the shortest frequency range of the bunch by far. I've played the Moog and it's range is unbelievable. Unfortunately I have no idea on the Frostwave.

Basically are you going to use the alternate modulation frequency and/or an expression pedal? If you want to use an expression pedal, would you want to control the frequency or any given parameter?

Figure those out and listen to some sound clips to get an idea of range and you should be set.

6. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Actually the Moog lets you use an input carrier signal as well.

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Oh, neat. I guess you should just get the Moog then.

8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    thank you everybody for the replys.
    well, I'm mostly going to use the ring modulator in order to obtain that sort of dissonan synth bass effect, but in a very subtle way and with my clean signal always on.
    moreover I'd LOVE to obtain crazy oscillating effects and to be able to control the knobs with an expression pedal, but this is a plus.
    I think I'll go with the Moog, 'cause I ain't no chance to try the Frostwave here... anyway... Moog is always a guarantee..