1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frantone LO-TONE Classic Bass Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Saetia, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Anyone own one? Use one? What are your thoughts? I conducted a brief search and didn't find anything useful.

What kind of charicteristics does it have? How well does it handle the low end?

I was thinking of picking up a fuzz to be the alter-ego of the blue beard when it gets here.

Thanks

Peace

-Benny

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I had one and did not care for it. I had tons of low end, but also a significant lack of top end bite. To me, it just sounded muffled.

My current fuzz duties are handled by the Prescriptin Electronics Depth Charge.

As a alter-ego for the Blue Beard, I'd think someting with a more mild gain structure might be a good call. The BB is a fuzz - a gritty OD might make a better compliment than another fuzz. (IMO, YMMV)

3. Got the cream colored one here. I'm not a fuzz nut, but thru my setup the Frantone is quite impressive.

Lots of gain. Massive low end, much more than the highly touted Wooley Mammoth, I thought, or Frantone's Peachfuzz pedal either, for example.

The fuzz is smooth, and there's a lot of it on tap. A bit too much for my taste, even with the fuzz knob at its lowest setting. I could see a blend pedal for the Frantone, but that's just me.

The Frantone folks tell me that the earlier "green" Lo-Tone had a more subtle fuzz effect, but they're kinda scarce.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I've had two seperate cream Lo-tones and both got sold. The pedal has low end in abundance, but it cuts your treble and mids. It's an extremely vintage sounding fuzz that sounds great solo, but I couldn't get it to cut through live. It probably wouldn't cut through anything thicker than a mildly overdriven Strat.

Someone did sound samples in a huge fuzz shootout and I couldn't believe he got his Lo-tone to sound like he did. I definitely wouldn't consider that clip to be indicative of it's sound.

Templar: To my knowledge the Guacamole green Lo-tone was the more "extreme" (I use the word loosely) of the two versions.

5. I use a lo-tone, and as stated above, it's got plenty of lows, but lacks a bit on the highs. Midrange could be better, but with the right settings it's a non-issue with my fairly mid heavy setup. It does thick really well.

All that said, these days I usually use it with the distortion channel on my AG500 and not that often. I would not use it as my only choice for distortion/fuzz.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021