Frantone Lo Tone Classic Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Sep 21, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Vanilla white colored box with three red knobs: Fuzz, Tone and Volume. In, out and Boss style 9v jacks. Footswitch and red LED.

My test equipment: Ray and SX Jazz > Fuzz > SWR 350X > Goliath III

The skinny:

First, the volume boost is really high. You kilowatt tube rig users will probably love the kick your amp will get. I can barely get it past 8:00 without rattling my windows and AC vents (amp gain and master both at 12 and Ray vol maxed).

Second, it wants a very strong input signal to get the fuzz going. The SX barely got it gravelly (sounded like a SansAmp when I dig in hard). But the Ray could get the buzzsaw sound out.

Third, the tone control doesn't offer a broad range of adjustment. Hey, we're about to make musical mulch, so who cares right?

But let's look at where the rubber meets the road: The fuzz.

While the pedal makes sonic salsa out of your highs and mids, your heaviest lows come through unchanged. You know that part of your sound that makes the floor rumble and the dishes chatter? You don't lose that. It's a strange thing to hear but it's nice :hyper: You also get this satisfying 5th overtone.

The part you might miss is presence. The fuzz is mild. Nothing like the upfront, roaring sound you might expect. It's also very low profile. Like it's hiding behind the lows. It seems to be due to a loss of the mids that give sound it's body.

I placed a SansAmp GT2 upstream (drive @ noon, Cali/Clean/Classic), tweaked the knobs and woohoo! There it was! The sound acquired the necessary presence and still retained the T rex stomp lows. :bassist:

I now have three nasty gals in my "clean" channel. For mild cobblestone texture I use the SansAmp only, I add the Frantone for a bit of blacktop roughness and if I want to drag my neighbors over broken bottles I give 'em the American Woman. :D

Thanks Dave!
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Great review, thanks! I have been curious about these pedals. Sounds like it would kick ass with my Spector (as it has active Pup's). Kinda spendy though, have to save my pennies. Between the Frantone and a 250 should have what I need. Thanks again.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I stole mine from David Wilson for a great price!
  4. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I can't wait to try one of these next time I'm in NYC... thanks for the great review!!!
  5. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i love mine, the subtlety of the fuzz is what really sold it for me

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well I had no honeydews or homework today so I was able to spend just about all afternoon tweaking my rig.

I was able to pump out more delectable fuzz out of this thing by boosting my trebs and mids on the bass. With the Ray I just had to go up a little bit to get a nice busy bees sound going. The slight pre amp tweak also gave it presence.

I still couldn't get my SX to drive it hard enough to fuzz. Maybe I need new pups.