Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frantone Lo-Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Mar 21, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would like some feedback about this pedal. I am looking for something with a 60's "Sly and the Family Stone", Acoustic 360 sound. I went to the website and heard a really good thick overdrive sound using a jazz bass. I am wondering if it be able to achieve more of a fuzz tone. Other suggestions are welcome.

I am using a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, (passive, 2 humbuckers w/ coil taps) into a Kern pre, Aguilar tube power amp, and SWR Megaliath cab.

To date, for distortion, I have used:

Fulltone Bassdrive -- nice edgy overdrive, TS808 sound. Definitely NOT what I am looking for. (BTW I am selling this. I have all the overdrive I need with the tube rig.)

EH Big Muff (USA RI) -- thick fuzz, lot's of bottom end, muddy, undefined

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I tried out one of those Frantone Lo-Tones a few months back and thought it was great. Rather like a Big Muff colour-wise but much more focused and tighter sounding.

Unfortunately I couldn't justify the inflated UK price so I'm still using the Muff for fuzz. (Particularly as I already have a Bassdrive for normal overdrive and a Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive for od with my envelope filter). But if I had the bucks (£ sterling actually) I'd get one.

Alex

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

So it was like the Big Muff. You can get a true fuzz sound?

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yeah, like the russian one I've got - which I've heard are more fuzzy than the NY ones. I'm very much a funk player and the Lo-Tone struck me as ideal for that groovy 70s fuzz sound. From what I've heard the only other one to consider is the Depth Charge but no-one seems to own it!

One to stay way clear of if you want funky fuzz is the Woolly Mammoth which is really industrial sounding (a great shame because I wanted an excuse to get a Z-Vex pedal because they're so cool).

Go on, get a Frantone pedal, they're so pretty and sound so cool! I'm sure if I hadn't got a Big Muff already and I hate getting rid of gear that I'd have bought one.

On a side note, I recently had my Big Muff fully resoldered in the Bass Centre in London for no charge. What an excellent shop! Now I no longer need to be paranoid about it acting up, which previously it did all the time.

Alex

5. I own this pedal.. it's awesome!!

The difference in sound I get from moving the fuzz knob from where it is on that sample to max is pretty dramatic.

My favorite sound from it is to have tone and fuzz knobs maxed.. my P pickup soloed and tone rolled off on the bass. Pretty fat yet you can still tell what notes you are playing. Sounds great by itself and with a band.

I'm starting to notice that it sort of goes through batteries quickly.

The Zvex pedal is cool but can't do the big fat warm fuzz that the Frantone does. I tried them out side by side when I made the purchase.

(I didn't even realize these sound samples existed.. cool!)

I see that your bass is passive, but for what it's worth, the Frantone seems to handle active electronics better than the Zvex pedal did. I use a passive PJ bass and a Stingray 5 with an active preamp.. works great with both. The Frantone also sounded good in the store with an active EMG pickup equipped Spector. The Zvex was a bit too harsh with the Spector, though it sounded great with a P.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks guys. You have definitely made me feel more confident about ordering the Lo-tone.

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    are you selling your fulltone? is it the newer silver pedal? email me, i wasn't able to email you.

steve