1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frasier and Seinfeld -> DB and Slab

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by theshadow2001, Dec 13, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    So is the theme from the sitcom Frasier on double bass the equivalent to that of Seinfeld on slab?

In that if someone hears you slap on a slab alot some people are going to think Seinfeld or ask you to play it or are somehow convinced that all slap is seinfeld.

When you whip out that upright and start pizzing away has anyone ever got "Can you play the Frasier theme" or "is that the theme from Frasier?"

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    In case you didn't know, the theme is actually named "Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs". It's a Gary Burton tune from his "Departure" CD. Pretty awesome personnel list on that song and the album: Gary Burton, John Scofield, Peter Erskrine, Fred Hersch, and John Patitucci. Yup that's Patitucci you're hearing. :)

Get the cd, highly recommended.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ...and no, no one has ever asked me that.

It would be cool to learn to do that Sienfeld thing, though.

hditty, I always thought that was Kelsey Grammer singing "tossed salads and scrambled eggs", Did he sing over the "Departure" track re-record it with some session guys or am I just confused?

by the way, "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs"? No thank you, Mr Burton. Maybe hard boiled eggs with a salad, but I've never much been a fan of cold eggs. Of course YMMV

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I had a feeling it wasn't just a theme tune. It is indeed a nice song and that Patitucci from the very few pieces I've heard him play is amazing. Thanks for the tip I'll check out the album.

Aside from seinfeld being a keyboard it would be funny to see it done ala rockabilly slap on a DB. Pointless but funny :D

5. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I coulda sworn that every time I see the show I hear him singing over the Gary Burton track. I could be wrong. I looked up a compilation from the show on Amazon, and it's not the same one I heard on tv. The theme when the credits are rolling has got to be GB's recording as I could swear I hear John Scofield's guitar - which is pretty distinctive.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Ok so on the credits of the show it says

Music By - Bruce Miller

The Theme Lyrics - Darryl Phinnessee

Theme Preformed by - Kelsey Grammer

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Hrm, guess I'm wrong. I still like his version better tho. :)

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, still could be Kelsey Grammer singing over the recording. And the instrumental breaks could be straight off the GB record. I don't know that record, so I don't have an opinion and IMDB.com was uncharastically unhelpful on this.

Guess it doesn't matter, just curious. Gotta be one of the swinginest sitcom themes of all times, but I still give the nod to Bewitched. I've got to work that one up and play it with my quintet.

-tk

9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Here, listen to the sample from Amazon and you guys tell me if this is the same recording as the one used from the show. Scofield's guitar may be subtle but there's no denying it's him if you've heard the recording in full and know his sound.

I swear this is the same one that's either played during credits or the one Grammer sings over.

Maybe, but the swingingest show has still got to be Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood. Have you seen an old rerun lately? John Costas piano playing is frighteningly awesome.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    It wont work for me on my POS computer (which will be no more after christmas) So I can't compare. Shame though because I have an episode recorded and I could make a direct comparison

11. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    For what its worth... I'm pretty sure those are different tracks. Kelsey Grammer doesn't sing over that one from amazon for the show. I have both versions on my computer and there are a few differences:
    1.) the vocal track opens with solo walking bass
    2.) there is a small bass solo in the tv theme, just a little ascending pattern with some double stops right before "they're calling again"
    I think the version on amazon is the one they play inbetween clips on the show, where the city outlines on the black background. Anyway, hope that helps
    -Phil
    p.s. people have asked me "is that the Fraiser theme?" while on a jazz gig. Go figure.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    :D I knew it! Some had to ask

13. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    When I made NnicktheLlady'sMman's website, I tried to talk him into recording some Sienfeldy licks to play when you switched from page to page on his site. I thought some of his boogey slappy goodness would be pretty cool. :smug:

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks for pointing that out... amazing how many musicians don't hear that.

I think it was performed by Mike Wolff, who's done a bunch of keyboard work for everyone imaginable. For me, the most important thing about him is that he used to play with Cannonball...:smug:

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, I'm always surprised how many people don't know the Seinfeld theme is not real bass. It's glaringly obvious to me...but then again, I own a Roland D-110, and an Alesis HR-16B Drum Machine (the two toys used to make that awful theme).

aesopslyre likes this.
  16. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    AHH, thats why its always sounded weird. I have never really watched the show intently, but I always thought that the bass sounded odd on purpose, and that the player was also a bit odd. It being keys makes so much sense. Thanks for the info.

Ben

17. Yeah I've been asked if I was playing the Seinfeld theme everytime I slap more than one note.

But back the Fraiser theme, does anyone have that music? I always liked that bass line.

18. Tom Angelus

Tom Angelus

Mar 8, 2015
  19. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Things people have to stop saying to bass players-
    Can you play Seinfeld?
    Slappa da bass.
    All about the bass, no treble.

20. Do not underestimate a nice breakfast salad! Warm bacon and poached eggs, or a fried egg over basic salad is great. There are a lot of nice variations with fruit, or even a whole frittata (smoked oyster & bacon with leeks is a good one) over baby kale or arugula. Lots of possibilities!

chuck3 likes this.