1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Freak Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IconBasser, Mar 13, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    yeah, anyone ever heard of this guy? real name is Mattias Eklundh.

I just downloaded his two solo albums, and they are REALLY cool!

it's this weird quirky instrumental guitar stuff. Think Steve Vai mixed with SquarePusher.

anyway, I highly recommend Freak Guitar to anyone who like instrumental music.

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    He's a cool guy but a little too flipped out for my taste, at least rather often. :) I saw his band Freak Kitchen live a few years back with a guitarist friend of mine who actually know that guy personally, and it was a quite cool gig. The band (trio) was really good and they grooved. :cool:

There's a great deal of humour in his music. Both in the lyrics (FK is not instrumental) and in the music itself. My favourite Freak Kitchen songs are "Appetizer", "Taste My Fist", "My New Haircut", "Vaseline Bizniz", "Propaganda Pie". I love the solo in Appetizer, it's one of the funniest solos I know yet not too flipped out :). Taste My Fist is very dynamical with strange rhythm changes and has a cool bluesy/jazzy part too. My New Haircut and Vaseline Bizniz are more "plain" songs but with funny lyrics. Propaganda Pie has a cool bassline in the verse. :)

Worth checking out.

3. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    hm... I've never heard any of his Freak Kitchen stuff. I'll check em out.

4. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

yeah, his music is a bit disconcerting. But I love weird music.

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I really enjoy Mathias, do you realize he's not using effects at all? Everything he does is technique not effects.
    Also he claims to be a huge Zappa fan and really that shows in his sense of humor.
    Listen to his solo stuff too!
    Dirk

6. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah I've heard of him. I got his solo CD last year and listen to it every once in a while. It's a bit over-the-top for everyday listening but he is quite a technician and his sense of humor clearly comes through in his playing. I like it.

In that vein, I'm a bigger fan of the slightly more serious stuff like Cave Men (Kotikoski/Kleutgens/Colaiuta).