Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freakin broken strings.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GEARBOX, Mar 30, 2001.

1. 1

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. 2

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. 3

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 or more

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Something insane (please reply)

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. How many strings have you broken in one show.(say, two sets) If there is anything else that broke during a show that is funny please, do tell.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thats why I always bring a back-up bass. If I break a string on my bass then I just grab my back-up and away I go.

3. Me? I've only ever broken one string in a show. A D string, no less. I think it was defective.

But my guitarist, on the other hand, once went through 17 strings in one night. There's a thread somewhere on this board that details that night.

FF

4. I´ve never broken more than 1 string at a show... but my GUITARIST on the other hand....

he went through at least 5 D-strings on a 3 hour gig.... :eek:

and almost every practice he brakes one string....

5. I still have yet to break a string while playing. As close as I've ever come to breaking a string is when I restring my guitar, and I feel like I'm tightening it too much...
    then I plug it into the tuner and find out I'm still way too flat. :p

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Despite replacing strings evert 2nd or 3rd gig every now and again I'll break an E string - basically I get a bit enthusiastic and snap !

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have broken 2 strings (1 D, and 1 G), but never during a show. The first D string I broke was because my strings were over a year old (I didn't know any better, I was a beginner), and I popped it pretty hard and. *SNAP* it just broke. Then the G I broke just the other day cuz I was poppin a bit too hard and it just broke.

8. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Way back when i discovered slap bass, i didn't get a good sound without really pounding the bass. Bad technique and I also thought that Flea was the greatest around. Back then I used to break a lot of strings. Even low B's.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've never broken a string. It probably has something to do with the lightness of my touch.

There's this guitar player in my dorm who thinks the harder he can pound his guitar the better he is. He always goes around telling people how hard he plays and I guess he expects to impress people by saying it. But anyway he breaks a string about every ten minutes. I tell him its because he's playing too hard but you know guitar players.

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've never broken a string live. The only time that I have ever broke a string was when I bought a set of Fender taperwounds (which are made for stringing through-body, which my bass can't do). Well, since I couldn't get the E-string up to the correct playing height (because of the taper running over the bridge saddles), I shimmed it with a bent paper clip. Well, it worked for about three months, then it somehow shifted and SNAP. The strong actually broke into two pieces with a piece being stuck in the bridge saddle/paper clip contraption. Made a nice scratch on my finger too.

Other than that, I play all of my strings at least 6 months (flatwounds) and gig minimum once a week. Never had one break yet (though I do carry a spare set just in case).

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Once @ a 2 HR rehearsal, I brokle the E, A & D strings!!!!!! After that I filed the saddled & it never happened again (3 in one shot)

I haven't broken a string live in a real long time, you know what that means. Next show, *POP* :)

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    During my club days, I was pretty, ummmm, aggressive, so I used to break my E or A strings fairly often. I doubt that any one of them lasted more than 2 weeks at a stretch. For a time, I didn't have a backup, so I kept a set of strings on my amp. I actually got fast enough that I could break a string, rip it off the bass, restring it, and be in tune back with the band in the span of roughly one verse/chorus of an average song. Somehow, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing one should be proud of! :rolleyes:

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Never had it happen, and use light - ultra light strings. Go figure

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Where's "0" ???? I've always used heavier gauge strings, but I don't think I'd even break thin gauges.

Light touch = speed and fluidity

15. actually, I once broke my E,A and D in 2 songs-ever tried to finish a song on just your G? Found out later it was a defective batch of strings. I would have re-strung, but there were 2 songs left in the set, and both were quarter-note no-brainers, and my backup was tuned down to 430 for a guitarist buddy's original. Now I tune on the fly and never goof with my backup axe. I also never get to the show without a fresh set on and 2 spare sets nearby- I use a pick 50% of the time, and vary my weight to the song style, so I am sometimes just rippin em off instead of breaking them! Adrenaline- gotta love it!

16. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've snapped my D string three times - all on the same song. One time, I was playing at a little pub, and the string went in the last song before our break. One of our drummer's friends, who lived nearby, piped up that he had a bass, and was dispatched to fetch it. When he came back, he had instead brought with him a replacement string - an E string from a guitar!

17. My damn G string snaps every time. I even get the super heavy gague and it's always the first to go within 3 or 4 weeks.

18. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Bel, it sounds like either your ax or your technique needs a little work.:)

Maybe your amp is not quite up to the task. Turning up the volume or finding a more "cutting thru the mix" setting for the E.Q. should elimenate having to play hard enough to break strings.

If the strings are breaking at the same place everytime, there probably is something about the bass that's causing the problem.

Pkr2

19. you know, it's probably the bass because I just got a new bass a little over a month ago and I haven't broken a string yet. It was always the G string that broke near the bridge on my ol bass so there must've been something wrong with it.

20. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    It was always the G string that broke near the bridge on my ol bass so there must've been something wrong with it.

those darn spurs will get you every time