Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freakin Crazy - iAmp 800 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassic, Mar 6, 2004.

1. I just received the EA iAmp 800 Combo. This amp
    has been behind on release for several months.
    I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. My
    first impression after seeing the website picture and hearing all the hype was, where is it? This thing is a baby
    amp, it can't possibly do all these things. 800 watts
    at 4 ohm, 1 - 12 speaker, blah, blah. Hell, I've been
    carting around the old SVT stuff for years and
    this thing weighs less than the Ampeg head. This
    little amp also has wheels and a handle like luggage.
    That alone almost sold me on the amp. Since nobody
    in Nashville sells EA stuff to listen to I had to buy this
    amp without hearing it. After the review last night
    all I can say is. Unfreaking real. It is the equal of
    a 454 Rat motor in a Vega. The fun part is watch
    the service station guy freak out when he checks
    your oil. It will be fun rolling this little amp on stage
    a ripping someones grill off with the power.
    Happy former/present Ampeg SVT guy.
    EA did a superior job. :D

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

that's quite the endorsement, especially from a guy who used to use an SVT! :hyper:

and yea, i'm pretty stoked about the iAMP800 that Bob (ALL HAIL) Gollihur sent out to me. just soooo sweet thru my Sadowsky/Acme rig.

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How far could you push the Acme's with the Iamp?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    pretty freakie loud...

dunno how much wattage exactly i'm pushing, but at 2 ohms its capable of 1000 watts. with the master up about 7-8, and the volume/gain at about 7, i'll hit some flubbing with the Low B, but man, by that time, its stoopid loud.

but the best part is how incredibly clean and tight the overall sound is. i did try an iAMP-500 into my setup, and A/B'ing the two, my Sadowsky's Low B wasnt nearly as tight, focused, or as responsive. guess what Andy of Acme has always said, the more wattage the better.

one thing i didnt like was how if i hit the 50Hz "Deep" switch, the midrange driver would get a bit funky. heard a slight bit of crackling, which did subside if i turned off the deep switch.

all in all, EA + Acme = :hyper:

5. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder if the transistors in the preamp are crapping out from the extra gain added by the deep switch. Or, equally as bad, maybe the power section input. Anway, that's not a good thing to be hearing in an all transistor amp. Disclaimer: not a tech.
    Only from experience.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bassic,

I've been running an iAMP 800 head with an 8 ohm EA CXL 12L for about a year now, and many of my fellow musicians are impressed by the amount of sound that comes out of that little rig when I have it turned up.

I never use the deep switch because I have more than enough bottom with the bass set at 1 o'clock and freq set at about 120-150. I think that EA meant the deep switch to be used at lower volumes to compensate for the usual lack of bottom that you get at low volume settings.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    looking over my shoulder,

i'm noticing that my bass is cranked at +10 @ 40Hz, so hitting the deep switch's extra 50Hz tub might not exactly be a good idea.

and FYI, just saw in the manual which says, "Caution: when engaged at loud volume settings, this preset could cause permananet loudspeaker and hearing damage."

:meh:

guess its only for lower volume levels.

8. I think the function of that switch is like the loud switch on an stereo, to increase the low end in low volume settings where normally you will perceive less bass than if the sound is louder.

Geoff

9. I've been playing Mesa Boogie gear for a very long time. But I am coming now in an age where I like to downsize and don't want to carry around all that heavy stuff. So, a few weeks ago i purchased an EA CXL 112, played it on several gigs through my Mesa M2000 and I am blown away. For small gigs this cab does it all. I am so happy about that defined and crystal clear sound that I will get an Iamp 800 combo.

:bassist:

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No problems with my deep switch engaged via T-310, (Note: We'll see how it fairs with my T-112 which is due at the end of this week) but I do keep the lows slightly closer to flat and have the slider up a bit higher than 40 hz as a general rule. I have yet to really open the amp up at loud volumes too... I'd bet money on me having a much lighter right-hand technique since you are a self described fingerstyle "heavy-hitter" as well. That was the one thing going hi-fi did for me, not really digging in lets the whole thing just sing out and I get a much cleaner sound. I am attaining desired tones with my right hand moreso than in the past when I was going to the bass or the amp's EQ sections... As opposed to where I would set the amp to one gain setting where just a little more mojo would bring about some nice thick OD, only problem was it was often too muddy in many settings/mixes.

11. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I've been eyeing one of these combos for quite a while but the price has always stopped me. I've got an iamp350 running a bergie 12" but with the same weight I could have the iamp800 head and the CXL12...with better portability (I like the one hand deal).

And as for the hi-fi, digging in thing, the best thing for me was when we went to in-ear monitors. All the stuff that wasn't audible to me from the stage was very noticeable with the in-ears. My playing cleaned up very quickly once I could hear all my slop.

12. But will it pull off an SVT-type sound?