Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freakishly sweet JB-2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Templar, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ever come across a bass that just really stands out from the rest in certain ways?

Well that's how this JB-2 is. Strung with TI flats, it speaks with almost as much nuance as a fretless, all freqs well represented with clarity and warmth. This is the most expressive bass I've ever touched. Yes, it's a freak.

Attached Files:

2. Thanks a lot Templar, first bout of GAS since I got the L25K....

That thing is gorgeous, first red finish I have truely admired and the binding looks superb.
    I think an ebony board would be the cherry on top.

3. Templar

Thanks mad_dan, err....I mean 'surge'. lol

Ya ebony would be extra sweet! But to be honest, I don't miss the little "clack" sound I get from my ebony ones.

4. :ninja:
    My stealth moves didn't get under your radar!

I didnt realise ebony could be like that, being a shallow bastard I was speaking from an aesthetics point of view of course... ;)

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, is the back finished in Redburst as well?

6. Templar

No, just black on the back.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Dude!!! I LOVE that bass:hyper:

That does it!!!! I'm gettin' me a G&L one day!!!!

They've got a beautiful JB-2 where I get my lessons at in blueburst. I thought the only way to make it nicer would be if it had G&L's natural binding on the body. It's a very nice touch.

Congrats!!! I know you'll enjoy it.:bassist:

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    That's a stunning bass.

How do JB-2's sound? I see in your post warmth and clarity. How do they comapre to say a USA Jazz?

9. Templar

Thanks 'burnt. I wish I could answer that, but it's been ages since owning a Fender Jazz over here.

I can say that the tone from one JB-2 to the next can vary wildly, from "barky bright" to "mellow warm".

It's undoubtedly the uber-sensitive alnicos, which G&L winds in-house. They seem to translate the nature of the body wood in a big way.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just sold a USA jazz I had for a few years that I replaced with a G&L JB-2. I liked the appointments of the G&L a little better so thats why I sold the Fender. The biggest difference to me was the feel. Sound-wise they are pretty similar. The G&L jazz pickup has something about it thats unique sounding but I cant really describe it.