Freaky Fender Find at GC....anybody seen one of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I went in to GC in Richmond, VA yesterday to look at a Fender Marcus Miller 4 that the guy said was brand new in the box.....I had him weigh it before I made the trip as I am looking for as light a weight as I can get (Sadowsky has spoiled me!!) Anyway, he tells me that it weighs exactly 9 lbs which is about a half pound lighter than my max target range!! I asked him to describe it to me and he tells me that it is IN THE BOX...never been on the floor and has all the pickguard protection and everything still on it....

So I roll in and check it out....What do you know? He was telling the truth!! ALMOST as light as my Saddy and perfect in EVERY WAY.........EXCEPT....the knobs are backwards???? The chromes are where the Larger black ones are supposed to be and vice versa......I have another one (that weighs almost 12 lbs!!) and I have had 3 others and played probably 30 or so to get the ones I got.....I have bought and sold or returned a total of 5 and currently have these 2......

ANYWAY, I KNOW that the black knobs are SUPPOSED to be on the Volume controls and the chrome on Bass and treble.....also the toggle for the Pre on/off is a little thicker and sturdier than all of the others I have seen......AND it seems to be a true preamp bypass!! The preamp is also a bit more tame and not as nasty on the treble and seems to be a bit hotter on the bass output than the others I have tried......

Am I nuts or has Fender made these changes and if not what is the likelihood that someone installed these things this way if they were NOT supposed to be done like first I thought that maybe it had been sold and whoever bought it had done it......BUT, like I said the bass was in the box!! A search showed that the bass had never been sold.....the guy was as curious as I was after I pointed out the weird knob placement......

Anybody ever seen another one like this???

By the way, I am really happy with the playablilty and everything with this bass and I have decided to send it to Sadowsky and have them put in a Sadowsky preamp and new pickups.....Will probably send it out tomorrow!!

2. Buy it now so you can sell it as ultra rare vintage gear in 40 years.
  3. LOL!! I did buy it!!

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Actually, whattya know.. I walked into Manny's today and played a Marcus Miller (Ive always had problems with sitting down and playing those lame cheap fenders, so I never tried a nicer one.. it is perfect, man...) and noticed the same thing! I think its a Fender thing. Buy it, but jeese.. dont resell it!
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well then it hardly seems like you're happy with "everything".
  6. Everything as far as finish, (usually shabby pick guard tolerances, and loose pots) body, (usually scratched or dinged from being played in the store) and ACCOUSTIC tone of the bass itself. I have been playing a different Marcus through a Sadowsky outboard pre for some time with good results. I want to add the pickups (the stock PUPS are not that great) and the onboard will eliminate the need to hook up the outboard in my signal chain....I am making these changes because the other things are good enough to warrant the changes.......I have been looking for the "Right" Marcus Miller for over a year now......and I think that of all the ones I have come across this is the best one....I pretty much knew it as soon as I saw and played it.....The weight was a REAL surprise!!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tommixx, run soundclips when you get it back from Sadowsky, please.
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh man, that Marcus Miller Jazz is awesome! I played with it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even mind the pup guard.

The preamp really makes it come alive too! :hyper:

(there should be a house rule for this)
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Um... maybe I am reading your post wrong, but the chrome knobs are supposed to be the volume controls, and the black knobs are supposed to be the tone controls. That's what the picture on the Fender website indicates, and that's the way my MM bass is, too.

So... I don't get the big deal.

10. you are saying you saw another one like this?

By the way, I forgot to mention that I got this bass for under $725 out the door.......Just because I have a Sadowsky (AND another on the way) doesn't mean that I don't like of the "lower priced" ones at that!! For the money, I don't think you can beat adding these additions I will get the "working man's" Sadowsky I have been hunting for awhile!!

11. Superduck the other one I have is backwards from this......

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    And I thought I can bargain! You are the man! You should go shopping in Kowloon.
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I go to that GC all the time... if you don't mind my asking, how did you come to find out they had this brand new in-the-box MM lying around? I'd love to try one of these newer MM's. I've been wrestling with the idea of getting one, and possibly making the exact same mods you're going to do to it. Any idea how they came to acquire this particular one?
  14. Hollowman......I called several places in Richmond (I was going to MCV to pick up some Xrays) and when I got the GC guy I deal with on the phone he looked in the computer and saw they had 1.....I asked him to go and weigh it for me and check it out for "showroom damage" and he told me that it was in the warehouse in the box and he would call me back after weighing it and checking it out......about 10 minutes or so later he called me back and said it had not even been taken out of the box when he got it and weighed 9 lbs........pickguard shrink wrap and everything else was great......

I have called several other GC and Fender dealers over the last year or so and just got lucky on this one...I did not really want another floor unit because they tend to get beat up pretty bad......There are 2 of these in the Raleigh GC (where I normally go) as of last week BUT they are both pretty heavy....One of them I bought out of the box but returned it due to the pickguard being off a little and the weight....Good Luck in your search!!!!