1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fred Hammond Interview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This interview is about three years old, but Fred talks a fair amount about how he came to play bass, and about his music education and influences.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Hammond's current has some killer basslines. This current single is nice, but another song I love is called "My Love is Real," that another person sang lead on. Hammond is beginning to push Marcus Miller aside as my favorite slapper. I also love Hamond's bright tone. It is obvious that he and I are about the same age and listened to the same people. On a few songs he sounds a bit like the late Mark Adams from Slave.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I love Fred's material first and foremost. He writes like Jesus was sitting across the table from him. But, my favorite bass lines from his songs are from his live recordings which he didn't play on. However, "I Want My destiny and Jesus be A fence" are his handy work and he kills it!

BTW I'm going to see him at NJPAC in December... maybe he will play a song on bass!

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Love Fred Hammond. Great interview!

5. Let the praise begin is nuts. I got to play that one a few times.

6. Thanks for the links!