Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fred Hammond's bass player's bass...what is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jul 11, 2004.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just watched Fred Hammond's "That Ain't Nothin'" video...awesome! Unfortunately, I only got to see the last minute. His bass player was playing what appeared to be a white Fender Jazz with tort pickguard, maple board and block inlays. Does anyone know exactly what make and year that bass is?

2. i thought that he generally used a Cirrus...?

3. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I just picked up Fred Hammond's "Live In Chicago POL 3" DVD and his bass player, Maurice Fitzgerald, plays a white Fender Jazz like you describe. He also plays a 6 string Warwick Streamer Stage I that sounds incredible. Unfortunately I don't know any specifics on either bass.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We have a winner. That is Maurice Fitzgerald playing a Fender Jazz. Maurice usually uses an MTD, though lately I've been seeing him with the Fender and the Warwick that Daniel LeClair referred to.

Fred has used several bass players on his CDs. He generally does the studio work. Terrance Palmer has done a number of studio recordings and has recorded at least one concert video where he used a Cirrus. He also uses Tobias. Fred used to use Ken Smith for the parts he records, but on his latest CD (and maybe the one before that) he gives liner note credits to Yamaha and DNR Bass Strings.

Peace,

James

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    With a Roscoe!

[​IMG]

6. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I'm sure Maurice has quite a few basses. I read that he became an endorser for Washburn and Eden recently too.

About the Fender, I'd guess it's custom made for him. Looks like an alder body, maple neck/fb, probably American active pre. I doubt it's anything special, Maurice is just the man! :bassist:

7. BassandReef

BassandReef Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2009
    A couple of corrections. Terrence Palmer's main bass is a pre-gibson Tobias Classic 5-string with a Walnut top. His second bass is a Ken smith 6 string that he got through Fred's endorsemet.

Maurice Fitzgerald plays what ever he wants. You will be hard pressed to see him playing the same bass twice.

Fred Hammond played Ken Smith basses for years but also own Tobias, Fender and Warrior basses. He is pictured with an acoustic on his Something about Love CD. His Smith is easily recognized on recordings when it is used. However Fred is very good at choosing a bass that fits the sound that he wants for the track he is recording. You may hear different basses on the same CD.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Maurice is now playing a Wynn bass.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. I came across this and would like to further correct this statement...TP's Tobias is a bubinga top, at least the one he uses on the "Live From Another Level" DVD. He may at one time have had or used a Zebrawood model, but I know for sure that the darker colored one was a bubinga/wenge/alder body combo.

10. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  11. widjajar

widjajar

Apr 21, 2003
    TP is no longer with tobias since i think some few years ago, he's been using pavel aryel bass now almost exclusively. Check out www.pavelmi.com cool basses!!

12. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
  13. antontanzil

antontanzil

Jun 5, 2008
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    MTD Bass (USA & Kingston) & Strings, R.Cocco Strings, Gruvgear, Noll Preamp, Nordstrands
    Mo owns a Japanesse Fender Re-issue, with EMG pickups and some active electronics, it's white.

So it's maybe that one, or the Performance Bass??? Great player no matter what.

14. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    Fred is one of my fave bassists, I've followed his career since the Commissioned days. As bassist for the Winans and Commissioned Fred's main bass appeared to be a 1980s era Ibanez Musician Bass guitar with a P and J style pickups(see link: SOLD - Ibanez MC924 | TalkBass.com Recently I saw a youtube video from the late 80s of him playing a RW fretboard Musicman with Commissioned (
    ). As he gained more success and finance he moved up to more boutique instruments by Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Tobias, and Warrior. One thing I notice is that like the Ibanez, Fred seems to favor neck-thru instruments with active electronics. Nowadays I think he pretty much plays whatever he wants to. Lord knows he can afford it now.

Dr. Cheese likes this.