Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fred Hersch-Leaves Of Grass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Anybody check this CD out?...I just heard it last night at Borders. I didn't buy it, I'm not sure how often I would listen to it. It features vocals and spoken interludes based on Whitman's work. It's kind of a cool diversion, but I guess there are other Hersch CDs that I'd prefer to own.

That said, it features some absolutely drop-dead gorgeous ensemble playing, and some typically beautiful sounds from Drew Gress. Christ...what a bass player. Apparently, Fred has been playing this music live lately.

Curious to hear what you all think of it.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Haven't heard it yet, but Fred and Drew have been two of my greatest influences over the past few years. Looking forward to hearing it!

3. I dig Hersch, but I haven't heard this one yet.

I am, however, looking forward to hearing Drew Gress next weekend in Chicago. He'll be playing with Ravi Coltrane at the Showcase.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    As an update; Fred Hersch's website lists two, and only two, performances of "Leaves of Grass" at the Steppenwolf Theater in Chicago, on December 2-3. This show received great reviews when they did the initial run. Considering that the chances to see this music performed are rare, it seems like this would be worth an effort to attend.

December 2 is my birthday, so maybe I'll take a little plane trip and check this one out.

5. What a cheap-ass way to let everyone know your B'day Marcus!
    We'll all be waiting with baited-breath til then.
    Maybe we'll all chip in and get you the god-damn ticket! :D

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Heh...busted :D

Actually, I just emailed Fred to see if there were any other performances this year, and he said the only one was in September, in Jersey, and would feature a singer other than Kurt Elling. He also said for me to check in with him before I buy plane tickets, just to make sure the Chicago gig is actually happening.

7. Marcus, you just spent some time hangin' with Art Lande. I played a gig with Fred with Art Lande on drums. As a matter of fact, Art just called me yesterday. I'll return his call today and make sure to say hi for you.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Please do! John Zangrando told me that Art was drumming with Fred. What a cool trio. I spent way too little time with Art when he was here...my schedule, not his.