Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

free and fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x15, Mar 30, 2003.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    Fretless Instruments
    i'm thinking about buying a fretless instrument, probably an ibanez, how different is the sound from an ordinary fretted bass and is it worth it? I don't want to end up sounding like some screwed up sitar freak!
    and another thing, is playing fretless kinda like playin blind? would appreciate any suggestions and information about different and *ahem* Financially Non-Exorbitant fretless basses.

:bassist:

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The transistion to fretless would be much smoother if you got something that is lined. Whenever I play unlinded fretlesses, it does feel like flying blind, but some people don't mind it. I think that you should get something with lots of midrange, as that brings out the good qualities of fretlesses, IMO.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My first and only fretless was not only unlined, but also 35" scale! So as you can imagine I was a bit intimidated! However, it has not been a problem to adjust at all. There are side dots on the neck at the appropriate locations (3,5 etc.) so you're definitely not "flying blind".

I would recommend that you go to a local shop and play around with some fretless basses just to see if you like the vibe. Then if you do, buy one! You can get a giggable low-cost fretless from Rondo music under the Essex or Brice brand names.