Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free bass!!! So many choices!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_rock211, Apr 27, 2003.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I am graduating from college in May and my mom has offered to get the family together to buy me a bass for the occasion.

I figure I'm pretty darned lucky and I want to make the best of this opportunity....but I have no idea what I might want.

I didn't want to make a poll, because there is just too much to choose from.

My current stable consists of a MM Sterling, Ibanez SR1000, Yamaha BN4 and a Michael Kelly QAB-2.

I got the impression that the price limit would be about $2000, so that gives me a lot to work with.

I'm not the best player in the world, with very limited slap ability (although I'm improving), and I play fingerstyle in a band that does original rock (we have a habit of spoofing other bands...like Blink 182). If I were to get a bass I would want something that is going to last me a long time (I would treat it right, but I don't want anything fragile). I am mostly a 4-stringer, but I'm not deadset against getting a 5'er.
    I guess I'm asking people what they love, what they want, and if there are any real gems out there at that price. I would like to find something used, but it may be new depending on what I can find.

(the other option open to me is to get a really nice combo...I understand the GK Backlines are pretty nice...since I will be travelling around a bit this summer)

Thanks for your help...I really just want ideas to get me going in a direction, I'm sort of overwhelmed with the options right now.

2. How about a G&L? They're the best playing/feeling/sounding basses I've played. The L-series are active/passive and can do a lot. They're heavy and are built strong. You can get an L2000 for around $1200 new.

3. You should consider a Spector (Euro), they're around the $1500 price range for a neck-thru. I know they aren't over $2,000 though

4. what about a MIA Fender?

Then with the left over money get some lessons?

Just a thought, g'luck, spend that money wisly! awesome family!

:cool: :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I will suggest going used.. there are alot of High end basses you can get used under $2000..

6. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Part of me feels like everyone should own a Fender, but on the other hand, the only one I've played and really loved was the Stu Hamm Urge II. So I guess that is an option.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    try out a zon, man...you can also find some really sweet used pre-gib tobiases out there, too...i would really suggest finding a nice used bass

8. I don't even know where to begin on basses, but it sounds like you have a pretty good bass lineup as it is. Why not get one for a few hundred and use the rest for a nice combo, like an Ashdown?

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get a Victor Bailey signature and report back to us. No one here seems to have any firsthand experience with one.

10. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    This is an idea I've been turning over in my head for several days now....it seems like a pretty attractive option.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's a used Sadowsky 24 fretted 5 on bassgear.com for $1900!

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you can pick up older neck through streamers for around 1500 all day long, especially 4 string SS1's. that's what i would recommend!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  14. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i think you'd be happy with a ray, i am. but if i were gonna spend that i'd say a yamaha bb1000 (i think thats right, someone will correct me), the ray, fender precision, g&l sb2, or a roscoe.

15. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    If I were you I would get a used MIA Fender of some description and then invest in a decent combo. I would also get myself new leads, strings, batteries and all the little bit's I always put off spending money on.;)

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    What Woodchuck said....OR check out Hanewinckel's site and see what you can get for about $2,500.

If your folks are gonna spring for $2,000, by the time Pete finishes your bass you will likely have ample time to add to the pot. Pete's stuff competes well with boutique basses that are twice the cost. And since he uses Bartolini electronics in most of his stuff, the sound is pretty much a known quantity.

Peace,

James

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I second the BENAVENTE :)

You can get a real nice upgraded Vortex or Vintage Vortex in a custom Color for under $2000

18. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'd say for what you're doing to look for a used sadowsky. at least that's what i'd do. that or a lakland.

19. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    ...a USED bass for your college graduation?

This is a MAJOR event in your life!

Make the bass one too!