1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Free bass soloing book for download...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steve Steele, Apr 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Steve Steele

Steve Steele

May 31, 2006
    Hello Fellow Bassist.

A few years ago I began writing a “How to solo for bassists”. book for my students. I never quite finished but the meat and potatoes are there.

Just a quick note about me. I was a jazz major at the University of North Texas (later Theory and Composition) and had the honor of studying with and learning from Dan Haerle (the director of the jazz program at UNT and IMO the greatest jazz educator of our time - and still is). I then toured for a few years, found my way out to Los Angeles and boldly (and nervously) approached Jeff Berlin about private study (and Scott Henderson, Gary Willis and Paul Farnen too). Learned a lot.

Anyway, I’ve decided that if enough people were interested, I would finish the book and give it away for free as a PDF download.

It’s a jazz soloing/theory book but if there is interest in chapters on rock, soul or funk/slap styles I could include that too. It very much in the style of a Dan Hearle book. In other words, not too long, easy to digest, yet somehow complete (for its topic). If you’ve ever studied from a Dan Hearle book (The Jazz Language for example), you’ll understand what I mean.

So hear’s the deal. If I get 100 replies saying “I want the book” I’ll finish it in a reasonable time and make it available for everyone. Easy.

The reason for the “100 replies” is to gauge interest as I’ve already got a full plate. However this is something I’m compelled to do if asked. I spent years learning, applying and gigging, but now at this point I’m film scoring and conducting. I’d like to share what I learned along the way but have no interest in publishing. I’m kinda going for the open source thing here.

You may never have heard my name but I can promise you that if you find Dan’s books good, this will feel familiar with about the same quality (humbly!).

I may post working chapter titles if this gets rolling.

Maybe I should make a poll, but... nah. Replies will do fine I think.

Regards,
    Steve Steele

2. Falsecrack

Falsecrack

Nov 21, 2017
    I’m in

Edit- I’m also interested in any chapters pertaining to other genres (Rock, Soul, Slap/Funk) too, if you’re willing to add them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Oz
    I want the book

4. I'd have look at it for sure!

5. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    I want it.

6. Sure, I'd like to see it

7. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I'm interested

8. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hey, count me in for sure as well!

9. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    I want the book. Thanks for your time and efforts.

NigelD, shodan and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
  11. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Although the mention of anything even remotely connected to Jeff Berlin totally invalidates anything mentioned on Talkbass, it doesn’t for me. Color me interested! :D

12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I want it.

UNT....good stuff

13. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    yes, please.

thank you for your time and effort!

14. callmejs

callmejs Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    I'm interested!

15. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I would also like a copy.

16. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I would love a copy!

17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I would like the book. Especially if it includes a section on ROCK.
    Very kind of you to offer this.

catcauphonic and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I can't solo out of a paper bag.
    I guess that means I should read it.

smogg, Spidey2112 and RNG1 like this.
  19. I would also like a copy for my library. Thank you for your generous offer.
    cheers.

20. man, I would LOVE for you to finish it and make it available. That's amazing. Thank you.