1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Free Beer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 9, 2006.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, that's right. Free Beer!

Anyone who turns up at our gig on Thursday and says to me during the interval "You are bassybill from TalkBass and I'd like a beer, please" gets a pint.

Actually, I already have a thread going about this gig, but many people won't look at that one unless they happen to be in the B'ham UK area. So the purpose of this thread is really to get more people to have a look at our website with video/mp3s and ask "What do you think?"

If you click here it will open the original thread, and in the second post there are links to three tracks and our video. Or you can click the link in my sig and go to the Watch and Listen page on the site.

Sorry for using the oldest trick in the book to get you to here! But please have a look and listen to the band and let me know what you think. ;)

2. There's at least two pubs round here with "Free Drink Tomorrow" painted above the doorway. Its cheap ;) However, I must compliment you on a) your shirts and b) the synchronised, er, "dancing";) I don't think I've ever seen such an athletic horn section:)

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Quite. They're all mad, you know. ;)

AND at least I HAVE offered to buy people a drink. So there is some element of truth, however tenuous, in my thread title.

4. Good point. Sadly, I'm a fair distance away from Birmingham so I can't take advantage of your generous offer...:(

5. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    that's a nice offer!

OAN....I've always thought that "Free Beer" would be a good band name.:)

6. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Will talk to some people, see if i can get over the Brum that night.

I want my Beer!!!

Edit: Never mind, have just read info on the venue to find its an over 21s club. :mad:

Oh well, maybe next time.

7. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    For the benefit of our US friends on TB, Matt can drink beer over here in the UK as he's been 18 since last month.

But he's right, Jamhouse is an over 21 venue, sorry Matt. You might be able to get in, but couldn't guarantee it, I'm afraid.

We've got an outdoor afternoon gig coming up in Brum soon, I'll post details when I find out more about it.

8. what a brilliant idea, wish i could drive, and i was 21, ah well, nice idea tho

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What kind of Beer ?

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    FREE beer! What more do you need to know? :D

11. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be another one of those "Hey guys...my band thought it would be funny if we called our band FREE BEER! People would come to the gig thinking they're getting FREE BEER! Wouldn't that be hillarious???" threads.

12. I'd really like to take you up on that offer, but the plane ticket might be difficult to explain to the Mrs. However, we've all heard it said that "it's the thought that counts", so do I get a free beer (or perhaps a half a free beer) for the thought?

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

If I am comming all the way out to the UK from NY it better be good ! :p

14. Can I have the other half for my equally sincere thoughts, please?;)

15. If it isn't Guiness, then now way.:D

Wish I could be there. But since I'm just about half way around the world from you, I don't think that it's gonna happen. But when I do eventually make that trip out to the wondrous UK, I'll make sure to stop in and say hi.

Rock on
    Eric

16. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Eric, velvet, Xavier, Major - thanks for the responses, it's a pity you can't make it there. I promise I will buy each of you a beer tonight and toast you all whilst drinking them for you in your absence.

Rehearsal last night was a real blast, I'm going to bump my other thread again in case any of my fellow TB Brummies (that's slang for Birmingham folk over here) missed it. We're expecting a great gig tonight, looking forward to it.

CHEERS!! (raises glass and takes enormous swig of indecently strong English ale)

PS Offer still stands to any of you who make it here from the US or the frozen north on a future occasion :D

17. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, time to bump this elderly thread. And no, it's not about what a great name Free Beer would be for a band!

It's a genuine offer, never to be repeated until the next time. I'll buy a beer or three for any TBer who makes it to the gig in this thread...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288517

... to see what I can honestly say is an AWESOME 24 piece band!

And Major - the beer in question is Ma Pardoe's finest "Entire" ale, very strong and heady, brewed on the premises and I'll guarantee you'd love it. If you organise a TB whip round for the cost of your flight I'll put you up at the bassybill residence where you can sleep the beer off!

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I throught the thread was "Free Deer"

Too bad, I was really looking forward to some venison

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If I show up, will you pay for my plane ticket too?

:D

20. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    So when the "Free Nelson Mandela" campaign was at its peak, did you think you were going to eat him too? :D