1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Free Decibel Meter app for iPhone

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by farshore, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Found this while browsing the web:
    Decibel Meter
    It is the second listing on the page.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not all that useful.

i've had a dB meter on my iphone for a while now (so through a few generations of iphones) and what i've figured out is that the iphone mic just doesn't have the dynamic range to make it accurate for this.

i'll calibrate my real dB meter to the iphone at a given loudness with a pink noise signal through my stereo speakers, and then find that when i turn my stereo up or down from there the iphone mic doesn't track with the dB meter's mic.

3. Yeah, I did not have time to check it out (still have not), but posted in case it was worth anything, since the "sale" ends tonight.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    actually yes!

with my tascam im2 external iphone mic i found that it tracked the dB changes much more closely with the real dB meter, making the phone useful for this task.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Even with the stock built in mic and a cheap / free dB meter app, you are still light years ahead of the "too loud" vs "not loud enough" debate nonsense. +/- 3 to 5 dB is the realistic threshold for human SPL perception anyways so the margin of error for non pro equipment won't have much of an impact in the wild.

farshore and seamonkey like this.