Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free Download of Tracktion Music Production

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Bassplayer is offering free download of Tracktion Music Production by Mackie. I do not know if it is any good, but it looks interesting and it is free!!!!
    Here is the link.
    http://www.bassplayer.com/freetracktion.htm

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    took me awhile to understand what the hell i was doing, but its pretty bad ass!!! then again, i've never had a program like this, so pretty much anything would be bad ass to me...

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm trying this out, and I must say this thing is really freakin' cool. It's so... uncluttered.

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    What kind of machine are you using Traktion on? The computer that I currently have my recording SW on (Cakewalk Guitar Tracks) has a slower CPU speed than what is recommended. Should I bother trying to use it with this machine or wait until I can upgrade?

Thanks!

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Here is a computer requirements quote directly from Mackie:

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i recorded one of my songs using this Tracktion thing but i can't save it to an actual MP3... do they not let you save an MP3 in the free version or what?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that would be lame as the ad says "fully licensed".

8. W00t, teh L337 W4rez!!!11!!one!!

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    From everything I've seen, Tracktion looks like the closest thing windows(though tracktion is OS X compatible as well) has to garageband. It is superior to GB in some respects, and lacks some things GB has, but other than that, it seems to be pretty similar.

10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    so then you CAN'T save it into an MP3 and possibly burn onto a cd? i don't got the dough right now to buy anything but food and shelter.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I normally use ACID 3.0 as my scratch pad but I'll give this one a shot.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    audio doesnt have to be in MP3 format to burn. it will still burn if its AIFF or WAV. if you have to, you could use itunes or something similar to convert to mp3

about to try it on my 233MHz powermac G3. go 1999!!

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I use this program for all my format-conversion needs: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Freeware, works great, and there's a bunch of codecs you can download to convert to/from other file formats. It's for Windows though, I don't know of a similar program for other platforms.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Tell us how it goes! My current macine is a 533MHz PC. :meh: If it works for you, it might work for me!

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does Tracktion tack 24 bit wave files or does it need to be 16 bit??

16. Seems the "special offer has ended". That sucks... Anyone know where I can find it? :)

17. there's a free audio recording software called audacity. anyone used it before? i tried it and it's pretty good. has almost all feature any paid software has. you also have to download LAME Mp3 decoder to export to MP3 format. also supports ogg vorbis.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

18. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    why is that site in spanish??? does that mean everything in the program itself is gonna be in spanish too???