1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FREE DR strings ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sammy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    “Desperate times call for desperate measures”
    :D

Here’s the deal

I’ve been trying to find the brand of strings that came on my bass for over a year. They now are dead, dead, dead, dead, dead. I bought a set for DR high beams (5-string: 45 to 128) that were used for one hour at home before I took them off.

If you can positively identify these strings, once I buy them and see that they are THE brand, I will send you the high beams – free.

please see the original thread for pic's!

"Love these strings, what brand are they??"

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452540

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I wish I could figure them out! Im dying for some DRs.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Nice bass, can't identify the strings though. (I have a 6 anyways, but I do use and love DRs)

4. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I seem to have those exact strings on one of my basses and I can't figure out what they are either.

5. ffej

ffej

Feb 15, 2003
    Have you checked out Dean Markley Super-rounds?
    They are basically SR-2000's with out the taper core.
    They used to have yellow silk, but I got a set last year,and they looked
    like the strings in your pic.

6. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    ffej ... Can you post a quick pic of the strings??

BTW, I called and sent emails to Dean Markley with no response :/

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    They definately look like some Markleys that were on a bass when I bought it. I know you said you tried sunbeams..... I couldn't imagine a string having less tension than those. Once you figure it out be sure and let us know. I'd like to check out a set.

8. Based on the headstock shot I'd call them as Sadowsky Black Label Stainless flats. I'll send you a photo of my wick headstock with what looks like the same ones.

9. ffej

ffej

Feb 15, 2003
    Sammy,
    I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm a geezer computer incompetent.
    I don't know how to post a pic, but I dug the strings out and took a look.
    They are very close, but a little different.
    On your B,E and A I can see a step down of the different size wraps near the headstock
    that I don't see on these.
    Where they go into the tuner looks the same-just a single wrap around the core.
    Another thing is,on my set the ball end is silver instead of the more common brass.
    Also your G looks like it has white silk?
    Could it be from another set?
    Dean Markley blue steels have a white wrap.
    You mentioned Sun Beams having more tension, these are gauged 45-65-80-105-128
    and have more tension than Sun Beams in the same gauge.
    Maybe your set is 40-125?
    Anyway hope this is of some help and that you solve the mystery.

10. Here's the headstock photo. Sorry it's a blackberry camera.....

THe B string is balled up 'cause I ordered the XL's and in reality they are long for a 34" scale bass....still works, though but I wonder at times if I should replace that B with the shorter one.

Sent your headstock photo to Roger S to ID. (Update: Roger said No)

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I think I may have a match but I don't know what they are either!

Manne_03.

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I took a close-up picture of the strings, which a small version is attached to this post. (The original is 3Mb, which shows even the dust really well ... available upon request)

Zuma, at first I thought you had the exact same strings, but after taking a REALLY close look, you can see that after the second wrap on the E string ends, the first wrap around the core continues, then gradually extends the "unravel" until it reaches the same wrapping as yours. It may be the same manufacturer with a different string (say nickel compared to stainless).
    :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

13. I think that lowendfriend nailed it.

14. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    they look like dean markley to me

15. I'd say GHS Boomers by the looks

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Don't Boomers have red silk ends? And fully wound ends? Did you look at the picture? :)

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I thought the same.

18. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    The strings that lowendfriend showed it the picture has white silk, where the other strings have no silk!

Yeah, someone said that before so I tryed to reach the company :meh: If you've got proof, I've got strings for you!

19. No, just pulled it out of @$$. :) I'll post a pic of em on my bass when I get a chance. Nickel GHS.

20. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Yeah, you're right. It's pretty obvious in the larger picture. I still wish I knew! I rather like them on this bass.

Zuma