Free Form Jazz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lovebown, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Exactly what is "free jazz" or "free form jazz"?
    I've heard that it is really weird , far-out stuff - which means I have to check it out. Does anyone have any good recomendations when it comes to this genre ?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there are different varieties and some elements of this in a lot of mainstream Jazz. But it usually means completely free improvising with no specified chord structure or melody. The strictest definition is probably that you play in "time", but there is no set structure or repetition. So if you are a bass player, you don't play any riffs or repeat yourself at all.

There are some things which are considered "free" but do have riffs - like some of Miles Davis's electric period where there would be long improvisations over bass/drum repetetive patterns, but true Free Jazz is meant to be - just that - completely free of any restrictions.

The best-known early pioneers are probably Ornette Coleman and Roland Kirk - some of the weirdest stuff I've ever heard was from John Zorn, but there are loads out there, but very few will make it onto CD or any type of recording - I mean, this is almost the antithesis of what it's all about!
  3. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Ahhh Ill check out some Zorn stuff. I think I've heard of him... wasn't it him that collaborated with Mike Patton ??

4. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Yep, Zorn produced Mr. Bungle's first album, in addition to playing on some of the tracks.

His solo stuff is pretty out, and the stuff he did with Naked City is as brilliant as it is bizarre. Check it out sometime.