1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Free gig last night.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BillMason, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Last night we played (for free) a breast cancer research benefit, put on my our singer's boss for his wife, who is a survivor.

Man... worst gig ever, for us. The hall is new, and they have some very nice and expensive granite tiles on the floor. I believe it was due to that that we couldn't hear ourselves; the singer kept cranking his channel up in the mix, which caused eardrum splitting pain for me and the drummer whenever he got too close to the mic and clipped his channel on the amp.

Before we started however, the singer had invited a "blues guitarist" friend of his to play for 30 minutes before we started. :rollno: Then we played for TWO HOURS nonstop, followed by a short smoke break, and then another 15 minutes or so. I think it was about 1:40 AM when we started packing up. My fingers are killing me!! :) The crowd really loved it, all 35+ married folks who had too much to drink.

I told the singer to just call the songs, as he normally is a good judge of how to read the room - we did ok for the most part, but dropped 2-3 dance floor clearers at different points. The drummer, who is normally very laid back and "go with the flow," (I know, unusual for a drummer), was totally pissed at the end of the night. We've been working on one tune, Steve Miller's "Take The Money and Run," which starts with a drum bit and the whole song for whatever reason makes our drummer nervous, I think he finds it challenging. Anyway, the singer just started the song with his acoustic guitar, no drum bit, and the drummer, whom I drove home, was complaining the whole way home about how we had no set lists, the singer was calling tunes from left, right and center, and especially about how the singer had started this song without him.

The drummer's a nervous guy at gigs - he *always* makes a comment about what we're all wearing, such as "oh good, we're all wearing jeans," as if one of us would go to a gig in Khakis or a tux, and he's even made comments before suggesting that we all dress the same way, such as a black shirt and black jeans or blue jeans.

The singer's nerves trip is to get controlling things from the stage - such as song choice, etc. That's ok by me. The guitar player is pretty even keel, and so am I.

You guys got any other good gig nervous habit stories?

2. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    1:45AM packed up and gone! I wish:) Its usually about 3:30, 4 before we get out of our gigs. Luckily our entire band is very calm and go with the flow at our gigs.

Its the next day that everyone gets very analytical and breaks everything apart. The singers new, so hes still nervous and unconfidant, but this just means we get to mold him in how a singer should act:bag:

3. Smoke break during cancer research benefit?

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I LOL'd

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I usually like a set list too, but I can see allowing the Singer to guage the room and call the tunes.

What songs did you notice were "dance floor clearers"?

6. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota

:eek:

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You should discuss this. There's no reason you should have to put up with potentially damaging levels. You all should take a practice session to figure out a few ways around the problem.
    It makes a difference. There's a quote from Bobby Darin's wife: "They hear what they see." Sadly, it's true, and it's difficult for us musicians to understand. If the band looks like a cohesive unit, people "hear" it sounding better. It doesn't help to simply look like a bunch of guys who just met. Dress similarly...you don't have to be identical. Everyone wear jeans and aloha shirts. Or dress shirts. Or something that at least looks like you gave it a minute of thought.

Yes, it has nothing to do with the music, but everything to do with your perceived image as entertainers.

Try walking into a bank and asking for a loan dressed like a wino. You won't get the loan. Dress well, and you'll get much better treatment. Fact of life.

8. Yes, but if all four of you went into the bank in matching aloha shirts.... ;)

9. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    One example was that we followed "Mony Mony" up with "Shine" by Collective Soul, which completely emptied the dance floor. A couple of the guys love playing that song because we play it really well, but you know how it is, we could play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" really well, but no one is going to dance to it. :)

10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, well, so what.

11. Yeah. Despite agreeing on song orders in advance, before every gig as we are setting up the singer or rythm guitarist/singer will make last minute set changes to suit (her) vocal strength issues.

Then after the gig, they complain to me that during the set they massacred, the flow broke and the dancefloor cleared!

12. Just saw this LOL.
    I don't see a problem with supporting a charity in that manner either.

Cancer research wouldn't be as advanced be it not for smokers, and the more cancer sufferers the more need for charity benefits. These guys are keeping themselves in a job! :D

Sorry, couldn't help it. . .

13. Doc Labyrinth

Doc Labyrinth

Nov 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mr. Wiggles the Worm
    I've gotta disagree. This isn't little league, it's rock n roll. Lookin' good is important, but matching? Sounds like something my mother would suggest.

14. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    He didn't say matching exactly, just in similar styles.
    Of course four guys in white pants and matching turtlenecks is going to look stupit (unless going for that look)

Andy

15. No, even if you ARE going for that look, it's going to look stupid. ;)

16. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, well, so what, again. This was breast cancer research, right?

17. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    cancer is cancer is cancer is cancer.

kind of tasteless in my opinion, but whatever. I help organize and run relays for life in my local area and when my band played them i wouldnt let my singer smoke anywhere near the event.

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've played many charity gigs for free.

My moto is, no money, no stress.

Play it loose, and have fun.

The PA thing need to be address.
    Singer has to trust levels.

19. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, it was more the monitor levels we were having the problems with, that were causing the ear aches. Next time: ear plugs!

20. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm sure you do you share of things I would find tasteless too - so we won't be best friends, that's ok.