Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FREE Jazz Bass Transcriptions at Pick's Place!!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Luke125, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Luke125

Luke125

Mar 6, 2001
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    These posts might not resemble spam so closely if they were not your first and only ones. Maybe if you'd join us for a little while, we might possibly join you in a little while.

3. And those pentatonic scales are great for doing music store licks.

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    But Don, isn't that what it's all about? Impressing the kids in the music store?

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    ehhh, don't be so hard on him. Is it spam if he doesn't sell anything (his transcriptions are free after all)? For what it's worth, Ive seen links to his transcriptions on the 2xbasslist for months now, and his transcriptions are pretty accurate, even if most are from the toy bass (in David K's parlance). The Eddie Gomez transcription of "You Must Believe in Spring" looks pretty nice.

On another subject, my community orchestra played last night and I came through the Mendelssohn 4th pretty unscathed; I hit more right notes than wrong ones. Besides, if I hit a bad note I just look to my right and glare at the high school kid playing fourth. ;0)

Monte "Howlongdoihavetobeamemberbeforeigetabadnicknametogowithmylastname" Butts

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Doh!! I just looked at the transcription of Eddie G, again. Wouldn't a bass transcription be better in bass clef, rather than treble?

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  8. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually I've got plenty of bass music written in treble clef (and a moderate amount in tenor). If you're playing way up the neck, then it makes sense to use a more sensible clef rather than loads of ledger lines.

-dh

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Good point. I prefer reading treble clef on the high stuff myself. It isn't very often that I find jazz bass solos written in treble clef though.

Monte

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You're safe for as long as you can manage to avoid annoying Ed.

11. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno. 9 times out of 10, when someone tosses a chart in front of me, there's a melody written in treble clef. I used to stick to the changes, but these days I see every melody as a potential 'jazz bass solo'. You can also surprise and sometimes impress the other people playing by doubling the melody on the out chorus. :)

12. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    [​IMG]

ahh.. the majestic C-clef. Not quite bass, not quite treble.

13. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, I seldom deal with that one. I get a lot of tenor clef stuff though... gotta love those movable clefs. For real fun, though check out the dover edition of the Bach 2 and 3 part inventions. Facsimile repros of his original mss, all with an assortment of C clefs and nearly illegible notation.

-dh