Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free Jazz Charts on the internet?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Does anyone know of a good place to download some jazz charts. Really all I need are lyric sheets and chord charts. I'm putting together a little lounge act with a female singer so I'm looking for stuff like Julie London, Diana Krall, Billy Holliday, etc....It's just gonna be sort of casual, are own arrangements of some standards with a few things we've written thrown in. But I don't really feel like sitting with pen and paper writing out lyrics while listing to all this stuff. So any websites that I can find some of this stuff would make the whole thing a lot easier.

Thanks
    Kevin Lee

2. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now did anyone else see the subject heading and think that this guy was looking for charts for free jazz?

Which, of course, would be kind of missing the point...

-dh

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Hey thanks Alex, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now if I could find a site that has lyric sheets I'd be set.

Kevin lee

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Here's a link to a Real Book "on-line":

http://www.multimania.com/realbookonline/real-book.htm

This has loads of charts that you can print out.

I too have struggled to find lyrics on the net and tried really hard with no success. On the other hand it should be fairly easy to get these down from recordings.

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    This link you posted:(http://www.multimania.com/realbook/real-book.htm ) comes out in french, at least I think that's what it is. I appreciate your informing me of it but do to the fact that I am only a one language speaking guy, that being english, I don't have the foggiest of how to make use of this site. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kevin

6. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, but the charts aren't in French; just click on things, like the book covers and you eventually get to lists of songs - click on the one you want and you can print it out.

7. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I still havn't figured out how to get anything out of this site. Is there a little more detail you could give me. Iv'e clicked on everything...but no charts to be found.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

8. Bruce Lindfield

Too late!! - Looks like the site has been closed down and all you get now is an error message in French. Oh well, I printed off some songs!

9. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
  10. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hey Kevin (and all),
    http://www.realbookonline.com/ is the place. It's in French: you click on "Le Real-Book" button, then on the yellow realbook on the left and you'll get a list of songs in alphabetical order. The navigation is very strait forward. Make good use of the site while it lasts. To paraphrase BobG (all hail): Enjoy!

And just so y'all happy: et voilà !

11. Bruce Lindfield

I was able to get this site to work a few months ago, (printed off some charts) but it stopped and now I can't get to any of the actual charts. I just tried it again this morning and it doesn't seem to work still? Can anybody else actually get to a chart, rather than just the index of tunes?

12. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's still working with me. You have to clic on the book image, not on the red link underneath the image with leads to the table of content. The site is slow, be patient.