Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(Free) Multitrack recording software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Apr 26, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hey, I've been looking for a high quality, free, full version multitrack recording software. Not really looking for an illegal download, but just a full shareware version or something. Can anyone help me out?

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    There used to be a free 8-track version of Pro Tools out there. Check Digidesign's web site. I've got it somewhere on CDR. I've never loaded it, as I still don't have a dedicated computer for audio & don't have enough RAM to bother with computer recording (I'm very impatient).

3. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Beat me to it.....I 2nd Pro Tools Free its pretty powerful and easy to use for being free

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    AUDACITY is amazing! Pro Tools Free didn't work out for me. It's powerful, but I wasn't willing to spend the time needed to learn it. Pro Tools Free doesn't work on all windows platforms.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

This software is super powerful and has an easy to understand interface. There are several f/x that you can use. You can export your projects as wave files and mp3's with the proper plug-in. It creates a click track for you too. It is worth checking out. Did I mention that it's entirely free?!

Let me know what you think.

Joe

5. I was about to post about Audacity as well. It's not the most full featured program around, but it's well made, and I use it for almost all my recording.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    There's a free multitrack recording program called Kristal (search on Google) that's easy to use. I don't think it does MIDI but it's fine for recording audio tracks. I also downloaded ProTools Free and took advantage of Mackie's free Tracktion offer last fall. Most of the free software I use is Linux stuff, though.

If you have any interest in the Linux operating system you could go to www.dynebolic.org and download an ISO image of dynebolic 1.4.1. It has several different recording programs (including Audacity and Ardour), drum machines, soft synths, sequencers, and streaming/multimedia software. You'd have to burn the ISO image to a CD and set your BIOS to boot from the CD drive. Takes a little while to do but it's a good introduction to free, powerful Linux audio software.

If you're looking to upgrade your soundcard, most new pro-level cards come bundled with starter versions of various software. My M-Audio soundcards include "lite" versions of Reason and Live.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Alright, I downloaded audacity. It seems to be a great program! Thanks for your help.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Not a problem! I am really happy that I could help out. I stumbled across Audacity no too long ago and I'm so happy I did. Enjoy. :)

Joe

9. Yeah, it works on Linux too!