Free music question.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Many people are against it because it's basically just stealing. However, if an artist is dead then is it really stealing? What do you people think?
  2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    (this is referieng to downloading of napster/kazza/ect)
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Music related and a potential b-o-m-b. I will pass the hot potato over to my friends in MISC.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

If you died and a stranger walked into your house and stole your bass/couch/television/whatever before your family could come claim it would that be ok. No

The money that would go to the artist goes to the family, the label, or both.
  5. Yeah, the money would go to the family, the label, etc. People are still making money off the albums.
  6. Yes. Just as much as if you dug him/her up and stole something outta the grave.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's totally stealing. It's like ripping up some dead guys last will and testament and having a free for all in his house.

Stealing music from the dead is a bad idea. They will come and haunt your computer. When your computer crashes, when you lose saved work, when you get a virus - it's ghosts, man. :bag:
  8. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I steal my music, but support bands I like by buying their t-shirts and wearing them everywhere. I also try to spread the word about bands I like.

There's too much crappy music out there for me to be paying for it. So I'll listen to albums and if it's something worthy of money, I'll support it.

Radio sucks so how else can you try out music before you buy it? You download it, that's how.
  9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I agree that it's wrong, but like most people, I've downloaded my fair share of free music. However, I also OFFER my music free for download.

I believe that music is the property of the artist, and unsanctioned solicitation of his/her/their music for free is and always will be 100% wrong.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I pay for everything.
    One time, someone did burn me a copy of Miles/Coltrane In Stockholm 1960. Guess what...I just found this hard-to-find oft-OOP set & bought it for $50. It's in the mail as we speak! ;)

That said-
    Someone here at TB flamed me 'cause I actually buy SOME stuff(like box sets) from Columbia House & BMG music clubs.
    I buy a Miles Davis box for 1/2 price($50 vs. $100)...nevermind the fact that I had bought the original records(sometimes twice) & then the original cd issue.
    Some people need to get off their high horse, IMO.
  11. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Bad Brains said: "if an artist is dead then is it really stealing?"

One thing to consider is that the songwriter might still be alive. Many artists don't write the music they sing. Most of the downloading discussions I see on message boards focus on the artist getting paid/not paid, the "greedy RIAA" (which, btw, is a non-profit trade organization), "artists will never see a penny so screw the labels", etc. Very few mention songwriters. In the past, when I've mentioned that songwriters should be considered in D/L discussions, a number of people have commented that they hadn't ever thought of it. Just thought I'd mention it here. FWIW, songwriter royalties are often not subject to the same recoupment issues that artist royalties are so they are ACTUALLY paid when the record sells.

Just an FYI.
  12. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    it's true.

tshirt and concert ticket sales are usally the band's largest source of profit. why will we buy a 20 dollar shirt or a fifty dollar concert ticket? because we know the artists benifit.

stealing music hurts the riaa far more than the artists themselves, we have 5 american major labels who put out 85% of the music on the market. they cut new releases by 25% sales dropped 4.1% and blamed it on P2P.

the truth is for the first time since it's creation, the playing field of american music was almost leveled, and that, in the opinion of five big wallets, is unacceptable.

don't regurgitate what the major labels tell you.
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Downloading music is kind of unavoidable these days, especially since you never know where something's been or where it came from. As a matter of policy (and practice), whenever I discover I've gotten downloaded music I always send a buck to the band. Usually it's through their fan club or something. Many of my friends do the same thing. IMO artists deserve to get paid for their creations. I'm open minded about whether or not the same thing applies to record companies though. Anyway, this thread got me thinking, I don't think I've ever gotten downloaded music by dead guys. Not that I can remember anyway. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. Good question. I do agree that the family and/or the estate should be compensated. If that turned out to be impossible, I'd try to find some other way to pay "in kind", maybe write a song about the musician(s), or whatever.
  14. Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    I may be in the minority here but, I write music to express myself. Making money is a completely secondary issue. If I make some, cool, if not, oh well.

I'd much rather work in a gas station because 100,000 people downloaded my music instead of bought a fifteen dollar CD that the band recieved about 4 bucks per CD from. Personally, I'd rather go to show and give the musician's money directly than line the pockets of record execs. I still buy CD's though, quite grudgingly though. I usually download the album to preview it first and then if I like it I go buy it. If I don't like it I delete it.

I have no problem with someone who wants to make a good living off of playing music. I do have a problem with people who will compromise song writing to make money though.
  15. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    as Wynton Marsalis commented in a recent interview on NPR... the reason people are stealing music is because the labels overcharge for it. nobody bothers making copies of a newspaper. why? newspapers are affordable.

i download music like crazy. i also get music from friends.

is there anyone on this board who doesn't own a single duped tape or CD? i doubt it.

and if you own one piece of duped music is that better than owning 2? or 10? or 10,000? where do you draw the line?

IMO - labels have been ripping off their customers (not to mention their artists) for a long time and its finally coming back to bite them.

the solution: lower the cost of music.

$20 for a CD? gimme a break!!!! my band sells our CDs for 5 bucks. we also offer free downloads to anyone with a computer.
  16. At this point in the game I hope that the Big Record Companies (or someone) figures out a way to sell music without it being pirated (or whatever) so readily. I feel this way for several reasons:

#1 Music can be worth devoting your life to but only if you can eat.

#2 Enterprises (big and small) have a right to be in business and to get paid for goods that are for sale.

That being said, I feel that it is the Record Companies problem to fix. With all that collective "genius" at all those Companies for and during all those years with all that money and's their baby! They were fat and asleep. They need to get creative/smart just like the brainiac who invented all this downloading technology. Sueing college students and 14 year old girls is their right, yeah. But it's also weak and p*s*y.

And lastly, for those who want to give their work away there should/will always be a venue to do it.
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I download music to find new stuff. If I like what I hear I try to buy it. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff isn't available in Iceland (and cd's are expensive here) so I wrote down a list of cd's I'm going to buy after I graduate.