Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free (or cheap) graphics programs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, it has fallen upon my shoulders to re-program our band's website. I suck! I'm trying to re-create the original logo from the first version of the site, but it's too small! When I blow it up, it pixiliates like crazy. Witness:

[​IMG]

I just need to sharpen all the lines; I guess I will just trace the original outline and fill it in. Any suggestions of how I can do this with a cheap or free graphics program?

I'm on a Mac. No comments from haters please.:cool:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know if this will help much, you really need something like illustrator to make vector based images that can be expanded without distortion.

BUT, I use graphic converter for most of my resizing stuff, it's a small application, converts to any format, and features a simple but complete tool set to help work with pixelated stuff.

www.versiontracker.com

www.macupdates.com

two great software pages ...you could search around there for shareware and freeware stuff as well as information on retail programs.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    try this one. I spiced it up a bit.

[​IMG]

It's like it's in plastic wrap. Makes the logo a bit more noticeable. I used a generic littlem filter on photoshop.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got graphic converter. Doesn't help much.:meh:

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know how much MAC stuff is there, but www.tudogs.com has a lot links to free graphics software.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    GIMP, search for it.