Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free pay per view????!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Apr 18, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok a buddy of mine bought one of those alleged filters that block the out going signal from there digital cable box.

Do these work?? My thought is yes. But I bet the order list is stored on the box somewhere.

Anyone know about these things?? If they work I'm going over there and letting him order some fights!!

2. Mael

Mael

Mar 25, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    supposidly they "work." but they do store the list, and periodically the cable company sends out a signal to the box, and if it doens't get one back, then it knows that there's something funny going on and disables the box, and then when the person calls the company saying my box isn't working, the cable company finds the list of things ordered. the box that he bought will block the outgoing signal to the cable company, so he orders something, and the box descrambles it, but the box is blocked from sending the signal back to the cable company. it' sjust a matter of time until he gets like a $500 bill.

if he doesn't have digital cable, he can get a descrambler that'll work fine and he'll have no worries about getting billed.

3. They work. My friend's dad had one but he only used it for special PPV events like Wrestling shows but still, it worked and was free. Im pretty sure its against the law tho...

4. Mael

Mael

Mar 25, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    they definatly work, on non-digital, my friend had one and we would watch wrestling, although the color was too bright cause of it. and they're definatly illegal. but i read an article on the web (yahoo maybe) a while back about how in the end it's a scam with digital for the reasons i listed above. but no personal experiance with it.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    A "Buddy", Hmmm?

Isn't there there something against this sort of thing in the Moderator's Oath? ;)

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

In actuality he bought a dozen off Ebay and was going to give me n if I wanted it. He used to sell the old descamblers before things went digital.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey ya'll. This old lady next door keeps her retirement savings under her mattress and never locks her door when she goes out on walks. She'd never notice if I just went in and took a few bills. So what do ya'll think? Do you think she'll go back and count it?

brad cook

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Did I say I wanted it??? I just think he's nuts for getting these. We simply had a debate on if these would work or not. I told him that they wouldnt.

Im trying to sway him.

Also these are perfectly legal. You can buy them at Radio Shack !!!

9. Mael

Mael

Mar 25, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yep, completely legal to own. just nice and illegal to use. what a conundrum. :mad:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry Odie.

What do they call these things at Radio Shack (I'm not buying one...don't even have cable)? Surely they don't label them "Pay-Per-View Stealing Devices" or something...what's the "technical name" for them? Just curious.

brad cook

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

I think they sell them as a low band or high band booster. They dont look like much. Probably a rip off and will come back to haunt anyone that has one.

I wasnt mad or anything, I just dont want anyone thinking Im ripping anyone off. But on the other hand if he wants to order a fight or something at his house I will gladly watch it!!! I just think ihe's going to get billed one way or another.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Here's a couple of quotes you may look forward to hearing in a court room:

1. "Guilt by association".

2. "Willing participant".

3. "Had prior knowledge".

I don't know about other parts of the country, but they're getting pretty serious about this kind of thing in Nevada lately.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I really doubt I will be in a court room. These things have been going on for years. I doubt I will be in court because I had my fat butt over at a house full of people watching a fight that someone way or may not have payed for.

Will we have to worry about the RIAA comeing over and digging out some of the tapes I dubbed back in the day??:D

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    They're probably just a high pass, low pass, or band pass filter. If you have a cable modem one of these things might screw your internet connection up while it's disabling the outgoing signal depending on where you put the filter in the signal chain.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Ah Yes, Cable TV. It takes you twice as long to find out...

..."There's Nothing On!"

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OMG!?! You did THAT?!? This is new info....

:D ;)

17. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    We were having problems with our television earlier this year. It wasn't receiving enough channels (I'm not sure of the technical name for this ;) ) . So I climbed the pole outside our house one night with a ladder and removed the filter. That seemed to fix the problem with our TV right away. :p

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nate,
    Like most people having no experience in this field, I consider myself an expert. The technical name is "It's broke". Just tell CS and they'll make it all better.