1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FREE Riffstation Software for PC or Mac - Good for figuring out songs, BPM, chords, etc.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by tlite, May 20, 2018.

1. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Saw this on Slickdeals. I haven't used it before but I've heard of it, and heard good things. Looking forward to trying it out.

FREE RIFFSTATION DOWNLOAD

Riffstation uses automatic chord recognition technology to 'listen' to the music, isolate parts (i.e. bass lines), and figure out the chords for you. Load any MP3 and Riffstation will automatically detect the chords and sync the chord diagrams with the music. You can also slow down the audio, change the pitch, isolate or mute guitar parts, loop specific sections and even sync a metronome.

2. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    It’s awesome. I used the beta version for a good while. Then they sold to Fender. Now, it’s a free download. I was depressed when it was down. But, behold, it’s back, and it’s better than before.

I can pull any song, ANY SONG, from my ITunes library, and Riffstation will detect the chords within the song. It’s basically like reading a chord chart that scrolls. Actually, that’s exactly what it is.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    tlite likes this.
  3. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Just grabbed it,....works well ! Thanks!

tlite likes this.
  4. blip

blip Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    Interesting. Chord ID looks a bit basic (#/b, Maj/m), but it's certainly easy to read and play along with. I'll try to find some songs that have been giving me trouble and see what it can squeeze out of them.

I've been using Transcribe for years to aide learning by ear. I love that I can timestretch a tune and quickly mark up different sections. Makes it a breeze to go back and learn those difficult licks or hear that note or two that eludes my ear in realtime.

I know Transcribe has more functions like note and chord identification, but I'll admit I've never used them. Think you can run it free for a month if anyone wants to give it a shot. For what I use it for, I know I could get by with something like Cool Edit Pro, but I like that just the functions I care about (speed, visible waveform, section markup) are right there in front of me with no menu diving required. It's my go to for any song that gives me trouble.