Free space for small files... Please Help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a website dedicated to diabetes, and we have to offer a brochure for a banquet we're having to possible sponsors. Only, the host we have does not offer space for files with the package we purchased.

Does anyone know of a service like Yahoo or something that offers free space where you can hold small files, where when a person clicks on a link from another site, it opens a download dialog box? I know that a lot of you have used a picture service to post pictures from certain locations. I'm just curious if there's such a service. Thanks a bunch.
  2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Theres this for small pictures. I don't think it'll help much, but its the only thing I know of.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Putfile allows you to upload video, audio, Flash animations and images. Hopefully it will fit your needs.
  4. Are you sure they understand what your needs are? A web site is basically just a collection of files. I see no reason why you can't just put the file up there and put a link to it on the web site. I have doubts that any hosting setup would not allow you to have a downloadable file as part of the site.

Do you have any info about the hosting company and plan? Maybe they thought you were talking about FTP which is definitely a feature that might not exist in lower-end hosting plans.

- Dave
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Knavery- can host pics if you need it. small or large.

does anyone know of a site that will allow free video uploads of up to 75MB per video?

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Google Video and YouTube are two good options.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    What kind of files? I've never heard of a hosting service that didn't give you a few megabytes of space to host pictures for your website.
  8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks everybody for the responses. Dave, you were right. While I was told by someone by the host that this was not available, I called them last night and stated that it is the most basic service and should be a part of any package. I learned at that point how to upload and link to files.

The reason I had such a hard time up to this point was the fact that I was using their web creator, which works much different then uploading files.

Thanks again.