Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free space for small files... Please Help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a website dedicated to diabetes, and we have to offer a brochure for a banquet we're having to possible sponsors. Only, the host we have does not offer space for files with the package we purchased.

Does anyone know of a service like Yahoo or something that offers free space where you can hold small files, where when a person clicks on a link from another site, it opens a download dialog box? I know that a lot of you have used a picture service to post pictures from certain locations. I'm just curious if there's such a service. Thanks a bunch.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Theres this for small pictures. I don't think it'll help much, but its the only thing I know of.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Putfile allows you to upload video, audio, Flash animations and images. Hopefully it will fit your needs.

4. Are you sure they understand what your needs are? A web site is basically just a collection of files. I see no reason why you can't just put the file up there and put a link to it on the web site. I have doubts that any hosting setup would not allow you to have a downloadable file as part of the site.

Do you have any info about the hosting company and plan? Maybe they thought you were talking about FTP which is definitely a feature that might not exist in lower-end hosting plans.

- Dave

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Knavery- www.photobucket.com can host pics if you need it. small or large.

hi-jack/

does anyone know of a site that will allow free video uploads of up to 75MB per video?

/hi-jack

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Google Video and YouTube are two good options.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    What kind of files? I've never heard of a hosting service that didn't give you a few megabytes of space to host pictures for your website.

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks everybody for the responses. Dave, you were right. While I was told by someone by the host that this was not available, I called them last night and stated that it is the most basic service and should be a part of any package. I learned at that point how to upload and link to files.

The reason I had such a hard time up to this point was the fact that I was using their web creator, which works much different then uploading files.

Thanks again.