free strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Oct 28, 2000.

1. I've been thinking of buying flatwounds, Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats to be specific, but being a Canadian with worthless money, I wanted to try some at the store(the Thomastiks are like $60 a set here). I went to musicstop to see if they had any fretlesses with flatwounds on them to try, but they didn't, and I explained my situation to the guy there, and he gave me a set of D'Addario Chromes that was missing a d string to try out on my bass. I like the sound, and I think I'm going to buy the Thomastiks. I was wondering if anyone else had any exceptional customer service like that.
  2. I work in a music store, and I would give a service similar to that, but you'll have to come to Auckland, New Zealand, to get it! My philosophy is, treat a customer as I would like to be treated myself, and it works. I regularly take customers away from another shop in town that aggressively undercuts prices, but gives mediocre service. Some customers dont care about service, the price is the all-important factor, and those I will lose, because I refuse to sell for cost. I will soon go out of business if I try to compete in a price war! However 75 percent of players really like a friendly service where they're treated like a decent humen being, and so the shop is doing well, even in uncertain economic times.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with you on service vs saving a few bucks. Back in 1987 when I was getting my first "real" amp, my dad and I went to a local music store, he dropped me off, and went to run an errand while I looked around. I was 14 at the time. I couldn't get anyone in the store to give me the time of day. I had $600 in my pocket and no one cared. I guess they saw a 14 year old, and assumed I was just there to butter up the equipment. My dad walks in the store in his suit, and they are all over him like bees on honey. he finds me and asks how it's been going and I tell him. He isn't exactly pleased with the staff. We went across the street, and they had the amp I was trying to get some info about. They helped us, and even made some suggestions. We went to the first music store, and my dad asked to see the manager. He wanted to show him the $600 his employees had just lost to better service across the street. We went back to the second store and bought the amp from them even though they couldn't match the price the manager offered us as we were leaving (He was going to throw in the tax, too). They could only match the price, but not the no tax part. My dad paid the difference, and told me to always go where they treat you like a customer, and not a sale. The first store eventually was bought out and became the local Guitar Center...go figure....

Thanks to anyone who works in a music store and still realizes its about more than cash.