Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free virus protection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 1, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So, like many of you probably do, I use the awesome Zonealarm free firewall program.

I was just thinking though, does anyone know of any decent free virus protection programs that update and whatnot? This is probably just wishful thinking but there's no harm in trying.

brad cook

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Try AVG Antivirus. I tend to work in a pretty ruthless way anyway (zapping any suspicious looking emails before even downloading them from the server, not using Outlook Express, etc) but it did pick up some Word macro viruses that got picked up via the network at work.

It's free and reasonably frequently updated - worth a look.

Wulf

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks. One question though. It says that the free version does not work in any network environment. My computer is on a personal wireless network and accesses the internet through a wireless router/receiver. Do you happen to know if this counts as being on a network and will the virus prot work in this case?

brad cook

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can also use the free online virus scan at www.trendmicro.com - that's all I use.

5. I got a cracked version of Norton 2002 :D PM me for details on how to recieve it...:ninja:

6. Er, Norton 2002 is a little out of date, guys... and pirated software is WROOOOONG!;)

7. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    anyone working for the Dept of Defense can score McAfee VirusScan (with updates and firewall)for free.

8. bah, still works

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...I'm pretty much only interested in legal routes.

brad cook

10. I can legally send it to you :p LOl

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Can you legally get updates for the pirated software? Out of date virus software isn't much good and I'd imagine that connecting to the Norton servers leaves a trail pointing back at you... points worth considering.

Meanwhile, regarding AVG and networks, I think it works okay - I have it on my WinNT box at work. My guess is that it can't check networked drives - it runs through my C: drive at 6am each day but I rely on the Network based software we have to keep my network based files clean.

If you have AV software at work, it would be worth checking to see if the licence allows you to take a copy home. Employee disks are a major virus vector and at least some of the corporate licences do allow staff to take a copy for their home PC - I think I could do that here but I'm happy with AVG so haven't investigated further.

Wulf

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    zonealarm rocks!!

wouldn't turn on my PC without it..

13. Actually, I can get updates :) Do it all the time. ;)

14. Is it from Kazaa? Because programs that you download from Kazaa are loaded with viruses and I've been afraid to download any even though I could use some.

15. Actually, my friend's friend cracked it from a legal copy ;) then it got sent to me.

16. Could you send it to me?

17. I use AVG. legal and reliable. it caught a virus that my father's norton missed.

18. Listen, guys, I hate to rain on your parade, but if you must discuss the trading of pirated software, I'd really suggest you'd do it via private messages.

I'm not trying to carp on you, or even give my position on whether pirating is right or wrong - that's not the point, and if that's how I've been coming off, I apologize.

However, I think there are better venues to discuss this sort of thing than TalkBass, even in off-topic.

Just my 2 cents...

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree. I hope you understand that my point was not to discuss pirated software but just free, shareware type virus prot. programs.

brad cook

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    You can count on Tyler to start something like that :rolleyes: