Free web hosting??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello all,
    I'm kind of at my wits end because I am trying to find free or very cheap web hosting with availble templates or the ability to upload a site created in Dreamweaver or Frontpage.

One of the problems I've run into is reading the home page of certain vendors where it is stated that basic hosting with ads is free, but then upon signing up, I find out that it's not. I have tried Freeservers, but there is something goofy with their design templates. After designing a site using one of their templates, the words get all garbly and weird.

Oh, and this is for a non-profit organization for Diabetes. We'd like to get free hosting to see how it pans out since we're not making a return, and eventually move up. We would be willing to purchase a domain name.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    This is free.

* 3,000 Megabytes Web Space
    * FTP Import access
    * Web Upload option
    * 100 gigabytes monthly xfer
    * PHP and MySql (upgrade fee)
    * SSI and More

Only 499 left as of this reply.
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the reply. I just checked it out. It looks like a good deal, but it doesn't look like they handle domain name registration. I believe the web host must provide domain name registration or they use an extension of their name much like a fileshare.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Get that free web host. You can get any one of a zillion places to register your domain name. When you register your domain name, you want "URL forwarding".

That will point your chosen name to that free site. I use for domain registration. It's about as cheap as it gets and it's actually good.

What you want will probably set you back..oh...$18 a year. The domain name reg is about $7 and change..and I think the URL forwarding is $8 and change per year.

You may also want to check with your current ISP. Most of them provide free personal webspace..they may look the other way for you to use it for a NPO if the bandwidth drain doesn't become excessive

In any can find webspace cheap enough these days that putting up with banner ad placement isn't necessary.

I will do the entire package for you...registration and hosting for around $8 a month and they have a "Cnet best buy" rating. I had a couple of sites with them for a while...they are good...