1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Freebie - nice little theory/arranging book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassyBill, May 20, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is a little 48 page booklet that my Dad has had for years and years. It was published in 1944 and contains a wealth of information on basic theory like keys, intervals, chords and so on, plus advice on how to write for “popular combos” of the day. No bass guitars here!

I can remember learning a lot from this little book back when I was just a young lad. You can tell how much use it has had from the condition of it, so I thought I’d put it all into a PDF before it falls apart for ever. I don’t think there’s any harm in making it available here – it’s nearly 70 years old and very unlikely to still be in print.

So, for your entertainment and edification, please enjoy reading “Rhythm Style Arranging” by Sid Phillips.

2. Very informative! Thank you very much!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Awesome, Bill...Sid would be happy.

4. Very awesome, I have a hankering to arrange some little ditties for full band so this is a very helpful primer. If I disappear from talkbass you know where I went.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nice one! Yes, I think he probably would. Thanks Jimmy.