1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FreeCreditReport.com commercials....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DWBass, Sep 8, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was researching about who the band was on those commercials and found the main guy is a French Canadian cat named Eric Violette. http://www.ericviolette.com/ Seems to be mainly an actor who plays a little guitar.

Any of the Canadian folks here know of this guy? Is he really doing the singing or is he lip syncing?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    And the bassist in those ad's seems to be mainly an actor who plays even less bass. :D

3. I don't know, but I love the spots. My daughter (a marketing major) and I were discussing them last night, and we decided that jingles - so popular in past decades - are sadly neglected today. The Free Credit Report tune is a good one and memorable...other advertisers would be wise to use jingles more consistently.

4. I was mildly amused by those commercials at first...they got annoying real quick. The instruments that they "play" don't sync up with the movements ,as was mentioned earlier, which led me to believe they were just actors lip syncing the music and aimlessly strumming the guitars.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It's better than getting an actual musician who is ugly. These are advertisements. They need actors. At least 95% of the public wouldn't know if they were playing or not. They are marketing to them, not us nit-picky musicians. 'Tis better to possibly alienate a few than a majority!

6. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

I absolutely despise those commercials as well as the way they sell their product under the guise of providing a free credit report.

Those ads get an instant mute.

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Those commercials are maybe the worst I've seen in a long time, I hate bad jingles.

8. You'll wonder where the yellow went
    When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

A while ago I saw a YouTube clip of the 1969 GTO Judge commercial- featuring Paul Revere and the Raiders. Some of the comments were completely ignorant of how advertisements and marketing used to be.

I still think the laundry detergent commercials in tied into the 1961 season of the Dick Van Dyke show were especially cool for their time.

9. How about GOOD jingles?

If you've ever seen the movie grease, chances are that you can sing along to:

""Brusha... Brusha... Brusha. Get the New Ipana...."

10. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    I would just like to say ":spit:" because the songs are now stuck in my head.

11. I agree they're annoying. I only hear them over my shoulder...... Anyway, try an "erasure tune" if you get them or other tunes stuck in yer head. I use the opening from "Back in New York City" (Genesis) and poof, unstuck!
    Josh

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Me too, and those are bad.... BUT.... I do remember which product they're hawking, so I'd say they're pretty effective.

13. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I noticed that too lol.

I really don't like those commercials either. Oh the joys of not having cable ^_^

14. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Funny thing is, I had to REALLY look at that picture, and then read this thread before I could figure out what commercials the freecreditreport.com commercials were. So apparently not only are the songs TERRIBLE but IME completely ineffective.

2x fail for bad jingle

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's why I despise McDonald's ads.

16. lmao!! I JUST LEARNED THE BASSLINE TO THAT ONE TONIGHT! :D The one in the restaurant one! I happen to like the commercials and my 8 year old and I were listening to the song, and I was playing my bass and it just happened! :eyebrow:

17. I turn on the surround sound! lmao! daughter's request! But I guess I am the oddball...cause I like em!!

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone see the latest one where they do a 'techno' version. I guess they're trying to get like the Geico Cavemen and have their own series of commercials now! I saw 2 other new ones. One with them on bikes.

19. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Annoying? You don't know annoying.

Annoying is the fact my 16 yr/ old daughter loves those "Free" spots and can sing the jingle word for word.

And she does so quite loudly!

Matt

oh yeah...I hate the caveman spots too....the guys at work say I look like him.

20. Our 10 year old daughter and I would do the Geico "Don LaFontaine" and "The Pips" commercials word for word- including the dance moves the Pips did.