Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freekbass? Worth checking out?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by baba, Aug 9, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm hearing some buzz about some cat named Freekbass. I'm blocked from downloading mp3s (damned IS dept) so I can't get a taste to decide whether a CD is worth buying. Any feedback?...good, bad, refreshing, old and obvious, a feel good soundtrack for the kids? Gimme the lowdown.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Glad you found my original post about this funk monster worth checking out!

If you can do RealOne media player, by all means, check out a sound clip of "Mission" or find the entire song (it exists online).

Try this http://www.thefunkstore.com/FreekBassCD.htm

If that song doesn't gets butts on the dance floor then you're playing in a mortuary. That's funk to the "n'th" degree.

He plays "in the spaces/in the pocket". If you're looking for "NPS" (notes per second) like Bill Dickens or Jaco, forget it.

Bootsy's all over this guy. The recordings don't do the band justice and, like any band working at it, they have off nights, IME.
    But, the funk is certainly alive with these guys.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Thanks for the link, I checked him out. Sounds like hi-tech P-Funk. I might have to bust my Mutron back out and get my freak on!

4. rickbass

That's almost what the Boot said, baba! That track incorporates some of the sounds that the newer tech has given us since Bootsy was where it could have stopped.

It would be tragic and boring if Freekbass was just covering old ground (like me :rolleyes: ).

Hearing him live really helps. Hopefully, he'll get with a major label's "A-track" artists someday to let the sound be fully realized.

[​IMG]

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just ordered mine! Hope it's extra greasy!:D

7. rickbass

I'll tell you what, guru - if someone doesn't know what locking the bass in with the drummer's right foot is after listening to it, they ain't never gonna get it!

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

It's not. There are some interesting tracks on it but not enough for me to pass the funk banner to him.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like the album alot too:D

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmmm.
    Sounds like the groove to Slave's "Slide".
    Guess that makes sense since they were an Ohio-based Funk band.

I'm glad someone is keeping this stuff LIVE(just as I'm glad there are people keeping Bebop & Bach alive, too).
    From what I sampled, though...not enough to keep me listening more than a couple times.
    Seeing this LIVE in a club, though...I'm there every night!