Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freezing Batteries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Dec 22, 2001.

1. All right, one of my friends recommended this to me, and since doing it I have noticed an extreme difference in the signal my wireless pack emits. Now rather than a fading signal, it has a strong signal that lasts longer and stays stronger longer. I havent scientifically tested it yet, but if anybody knows why this happens I would be real interested.

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    All I know is that refridgerating batteries while not in use makes them last longer.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I once read about a guitar player that sticks his amp head in the freezer. I forget who that was though.

4. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Im pretty sure that the lower temperature provides a lower amount of internal energy in the dry cell, which slows down the reaction rate. The voltage induced doesn't have anything to do with the reaction rate, so it doesn't decrease. Thus, the reaction will occur over a longer timespan, and the battery will provide a potential longer with no noticeable decrease in performance.

correct me if i'm wrong.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Putting nintendo games in the freezer for about 20 minutes seems to make them work better. Don't know about batteries though.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <big><B>ROFL</big></b>

Cold kills batteries, folks

Reminds me of the hoax that recommended storing CDs in the fridge to improve the playback quality...

7. Oh contraire mon ami,
    My friends and I did an experiment on this to test it. The two of them both have the same tuner, and we put a battery that was in the fridge in one, and one that had been laying around for a while in the other. After we had left them both on for a <b>long</b> time the one that hadnt been freezed died, and the other kept going for about four more hours.

8. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    This is from the Duracell site:

Store batteries in a dry place at normal room temperature. Do not refrigerate DURACELL Batteries. This will not make them last longer. Most DURACELL Batteries will provide dependable long life even after 5 years of storage in these conditions.

Its a myth.

S

9. The reason they last longer is the batteries suck power from the water molecules in the ice cubes. You can actually see small melted spots on some of the cubes. (Go look). You can also take a dead battery and rub the positive pole on a pair of dirty blue jeans, (dirt seems to help) and actually get another 2.34581 seconds of use out of it.:D

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    LOL

Why not 3.14159 seconds??? :p

11. Maybe they don't like pi, get it pie, pi? hahah... i tried...

12. *Ralph Wiggum voice on*
    I like pie!
    *ralph Wiggum voice off*

In all seriousness, I had a set of Duracells that were lying around in my gigbag for about four months, and when I went to put them in my wireless pack, both were dead. Any ideas? Could they have discharged on something in the bag. They were out of the case, and if Duracell promises that they last 5 years can I get a free refund:D

13. i'm assuming you're talking about 9v's, and in that case, my guess is that somthing that can conduct electricity was touching hte top of the batteries, thus, attaching two poles, and completing the circut... same concept as when you lick a 9v, do it enough, the battery will die. Thats my own major gripe about 9v's, is that they can be lying around and be used up due to touching somthing, its a lot harder to do that with AA size or any of those styles, where the poles are at opposit ends.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    One evening after a gig, I put one of my 9-volt batteries in my pocket and continued packing my gear to go home. When I got home, I became aware of the fact that my pocket was extremely warm. Confused, I reached in and pulled out the battery, along with a handful of change -- the battery was in contact with the change and caused a reaction! It's very possible that if your battery was stored in your gig bag, it had contact with something metallic and discharged itself. I am cautious to always seperate my batteries into different containers and away from anything conductive.

I never put a battery in the freezer, but in the summertime, I put my shirts in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes before I put them on. :D

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    They call me "The Great White Thread Killer."

Hi-keeba!